Agnostic.com

7 3

The Universe. What is it? How large is it. How much larger is the unobservable universe than the observable. It is in the darkest depths and far reaches of the universe where wonder wants to shine its curious light. Is there an end? What is beyond the end?

What else is out there? What other forms of life exist or have existed. Ancient ruins of alien civilizations long extinct, or layers of alien fossils buried in its lands? Oceans of life as we've never seen it? Or will it be all too familar?

The universe is a wondrous place, filled with strange creatures and beings(I think). All is change. From the Big Bang to birth and death of stars and galaxies, to the formation of planets and life. Life, made from the dust of stars that have died long ago. What will become of it all? Maybe existence is one continuous process after another, without end.

CuriousCreature 7 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Does it include that. that isn't ( space ) ?

I find it a little sad that there must be countless wonders out there that we do not have a hope in hell of ever finding out about.

Yes of course. If we explore, we may find many amazing things. My point was that no matter how much we explore, the universe is so unimaginably huge that there will be much, much more that we never come close to finding out about.

It is possible that there are many universes ,what they call them are bubble universes or the multiverse hypothesis ,each one having a Big Bang and a Big Crunch , independent of each other

I like these posts... I tell my wife that earth is a space craft. We're moving through space and time. Can you imagine the majestic that built this.

Built?

The Universe is large enough to reach from one side of it to the other. The end of it is right at the edge of its terminus. Beyond the end is something else or nothing at all.

What will become of it all? If the current most accepted theory is true, it will die a slow death as it all cools down and finally goes dormant. The Great Heat Death.

The Great Heat Death has a certain fascination. I wondered just how slow it would be; tried to get some sort of grasp of how long it would take. I thought, if I draw a line representing time from the Big Bang to the Great Heat Death, how far along that line would the present moment in time be? I would have trouble drawing a long enough line. My admittedly rough back-of-the-envelope calculations indicated that if I made my line really, REALLY long (though not straight), passing through every cubic millimetre of the entire observable universe, the distance we've travelled along it so far would be about the thickness of a human hair. So it's a while to wait (even if I'm out by quite a few orders of magnitude). Excuse Aussie spelling.

@Coffeo ... What on Earth, no matter where it is along the timeline, is wrong with Aussie spelling?

@evidentialist ... Nothing. But not everybody agrees.

The Universe is extremely large and expanding, but the question about what it's expanding on has a strange answer (according to my current understanding): on nothing, because the expansion of the universe creates both time and space - there is no concept of time nor space outside of it! This is very counter-intuitive. Another counter-intuitive thing is that, at the current edge of the universe, virtually no time has passed since the Big Bang - time doesn't pass when you go at the speed of light, so when something decelerates under the speed of light, only then does its "time" really begins. It's really weird! That's why we know it's possible to travel forward in time, but, unless we find a way to travel at speeds greater than light, which the physical laws of the universe doesn't seem to allow, or we find a totally different way of doing it, time travel to the past doesn't seem possible.

MarcO Level 5 Dec 4, 2017

One widely held view is that it could be done with a 'wormhole' in space-time, connecting different regions. The technology needed to make one would be mind-bogglingly advanced. Could there be any naturally-occurring ones? Or some created by mind-bogglingly advanced civilizations that they no longer need, or could share?

good question! I will just stay in the wonderment stage of this

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6608
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.