Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK Our food system isn’t ready for the climate crisis | Food | The Guardian

I wish all the time that i could get a piece of land maybe central or northern US, maybe Canada even, put a tiny home for myself and invite my favorite people to a little shared community where we can grow food and share talents- I'll sew clothes and new curtains and bake bread in exchange for someone working on my car for me, etc. Plant a garden and an orchard, and just help each other! I'm such a fucking hippie lol

JonnaBononna 7 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One item I noted referred to genetic diversity. That and biodiversity are critical but human cultural diversity only makes problems worse. A PBS production once covered our increasing inability to feed ourselves was because all the ethnic foods were making us more dependent on imports. A big part of sustainability is self-sufficiency. This archipelago especially Lopez (as it's the flattest of all the islands) once provided most of the food stuffs for the western part of the state. Still, there are very many small farms here and on the other islands. A big movement here is the 'locavore' program. It's about reducing foods that come from more than 100 miles away.

When I was a child, we only ate fruit and vegetables that were in season, and grown locally. It was almost impossible to get anything else.

@Organist1 How was it during the winters months?

@JackPedigo Frozen and canned stuff.

@Organist1 So self frozen and canned? I once visited a favorite uncle who lived in Maryland. His wife loved to can and had a large pantry only for her canned goods all from their garden. It was completely full. That interested me so much it planted a seed. Years later this became a passion of mine and still do it even though I often have more than I need.

People who have any land at all can grow food. I have a tiny postage stamp garden, and you wouldn't believe what I haul in. I end up giving away stuff to the local food bank. If I planted my whole acre, I could feed the neighborhood. People need to stop growing lawns, and start growing food, even if it's just tomatoes in pots.
BTW, I love the idea of a hippie farm!!! I could teach music lessons in exchange for someone helping me rake leaves or paint.

I hate tomatoes.

Ok, you're invited! Lol

@PondartIncbendog Grow something else!

@Organist1 How do you grow chili?

I have a book titled, "Square foot gardening' which details how to grow a maximum amount in a small area. Problem was we had a large garden and only gleaned a few ideas from the book.

@JackPedigo Have you seen The Postage Stamp Garden Book by Newcomb and Newcomb? It's pretty good.

@Organist1 No, that's a new one. Sounds like gardening on an even small scale than Sq Foot gardening.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:660844
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.