Agnostic.com

5 8

If Disney World loses its quasi governmental status, that will leave the taxpayers of Florida on the hook for over a billion dollars in 2023.

I wonder how long Disney would have to suspend operations at Disney World before the losses in taxes, tourist revenue, and wages to employees would double or triple that billion dollars.

You think DeSantis and the Florida legislature hate math now, just wait.

mcgeo52 8 Apr 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Chick-a-boom, don't you just love it? Go ahead and run for POTUS after the largest tax hike in FL history to kill the gay, Gov. I'm laughing myself sillier than Mr Toad on his Wild Ride.

The Pro-Business party

Disney will actually end up paying far more taxes than they do now. That’s why Disney has dozens of lobbyists fighting on their behalf right now.
It would be a huge plus for the tax paying citizens.

Shhh. We're not going to tell them that.

@rainmanjr
It’s better to tell them so they’ll shut the hell up about it. It’s fun to see them go silent when they realize they were supporting retardation and it took a conservative to point it out to them.
Silence is winning.

@CourtJester Silence is golden but my eyes still see. The words of the prophets echo in the sound of silence and silent goes the night but it is not winning. Rest assured that I was being sarcastic.

@CourtJester, check your math.

The counties assume over a billion dollars in bonds that Disney is currently paying. That will mean increased property taxes in both counties. Yes, Disney’s property taxes will go up, along with everyone else’s, but their increase will only be about 30% of what they are paying on the bonds.

The taxpaying citizens end up paying more with nothing to offset the increase in taxes.

@mcgeo52

@CourtJester, I have no problem with Disney paying more taxes. I do have a problem with:

1. the state of Florida unilaterally voiding a contractual commitment,
  2. Republicans hypocritically raising taxes on a business, and
  3. doing so for petty political reasons.

Other businesses will note point one. This is going to cost Florida a lot more than it costs Disney.

DeSantis and the Republicans in the legislature who voted to do this are idiots.

@mcgeo52

Hey; Disney made the business choice to jump into the political arena.
If they want to play politics, they’ve received the political gift on the losing side. Play stupid games; win stupid prizes.it would have been a much wiser business choice to just stay out of it and be a business like businesses do.
The board should fire the CEO for screwing the share holders.

@CourtJester, when the state takes a position that adversely effects a companies employees and customers, the CEO has a responsibility to those employees and customers.

Ron DeSantis and the Republicans in the legislature started this by passing and idiotic, and most likely, unconstituional law.

@mcgeo52

A lot of companies stay quiet. Toyota, Yamaha, etc.
I (and many others) don’t buy Gillette, Coke, Levi, Nike, etc. because of their view.
A company’s only responsibility is to deliver a safe and reliable product to its customers at a price that delivers a long term profit.
Stepping into the political ring on any side disrupts that…. As we are seeing.
I’m very pro gun and if Disney’s CEO stepped out to help push gun rights, I’d say the same thing.

@CourtJester, as you say, "A company’s only responsibility is to deliver a safe and reliable product to its customers at a price that delivers a long term profit."

In order to do that Disney needs employees capable of creating that product. Had Disney not taken that stand they would have lost enough employees at Disney World that it would have had a serious negative impact on the bottom line.

I get it that you are fine with defending bigotry and idiots, but at least learn the facts before shooting off your mouth.

@mcgeo52

It’s clear that you have never owned or managed a business.

Employees can be replaced a hell of a lot easier than customers. And the vast majority of customers don’t really care about the employee’s beliefs.

@CourtJester Not Disney employees. It's not easy to cultivate such a work ethic. I know, they fired me.

As long as the money does not go to making sure desantis wins the presidency in 2024. That would get him out of law making in Florida but would really screw the rest of the country.

Funny how this tends to work out

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:662228
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.