Agnostic.com

9 28

LINK Florida atheist asks book-banning school districts to get rid of the Bible, too

If Florida Republicans are hell-bent on banning books they consider inappropriate, then one atheist activist wants to make sure public school districts go even further and ban a book that contains genocide, incest, rape, and violence: The Bible.

More than 200 books have already been eliminated from public school districts across the state in response to Gov. Ron DeSantis and his party’s insane rush to ban “woke” content from the shelves. It’s getting to the point where schools may stop assigning books that could run afoul of the law, even if they’re perfectly fine, which is arguably the point. Republicans don’t want kids to encounter ideas that could challenge them—or challenge what conservative Christians indoctrinate them with in church—so scaring everyone into being overly cautious is the net effect of the over-reaching rule.

Enter Chaz Stevens, who’s eager to make sure Republicans shoot themselves in the foot with this anti-intellectual push.

snytiger6 9 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hope they provide a public list of the banned books? So parents who actually WANT education can buy and share them?

This makes me very angry … that I didn’t think of it myself! This is a use of the “woke” label of which I heartily approve.

The Satanic Temple does this kind of thing all the time.

@NostraDumbass Yes! I appreciate the tactic.

The bible has rape, slavery, murder, sodomy, everything they claim they want to ban.

Meanwhile, the Bible says virtually nothing about abortion.

@NostraDumbass But it does say, 15X, that life begins at first breath. [bible.knowing-jesus.com]

You forgot incest....Lot + daughters?

@NostraDumbass it does provide guidance an when abortion should be used, and provides instructions.

It's ironic that these Xian/republican book burners will throw any book into the fire except the bible when the bible is, hands down, the most destructive book ever written. How bad is it? Well, the second most destructive book ever written is Mein Kampf and look how that turned out.

I beg to differ there, the 2nd most destructive book to be written would, imo, have to the Koran.

Next thing you know, they'll be banning biology textbooks that discuss Darwin.

They have tried that in the past repeatedly.

All of this shit in Texas and Florida is just fuckin’ ridiculous. Mind control is what it is.

These Obstructionist republican fascists are just following the Fascist score card, just like the banning of books, then book burning in 1933!!!

The NAZI’s used the Bible to help WASP population within their control!

The Bible the most milieus use of violence, incest, murder, cold blooded killing, and the slavery of others!!!

Fascist history repeating itself once more!!!

Ban that bible. If it is allowed in your school district then ever other religious text has to be there also.

Indian River County is right next door, not sure if this is Trumplandia or just a shithole.

MizJ Level 8 Apr 23, 2022

Sounds to me like the ENTIRE State of Flaccida (Florida) is turning in to one complete shit-hole.
The possible GOOD news is is that if the trend continues then between Texarse and Flaccida chances are almost the entire population of flies will emigrate from the other states and congregate in those two.

Just got up, turned on the TV while starting my breakfast, and on came the story on CNN about the Florida book controversy… just as I opened Agnostic with this post featured. Talk about synchronicity! Haven’t read the linked article yet, but at the very least one form of state-sponsored indoctrination (Christian) deserves another. Kinda like when the Christians expect equal time for the teaching of creationism alongside evolution in schools, right?

Neither is correct. There is no real past in an illusion. Our "knowledge" is simply stories which were created by the waves/particles to make sense of data and fill out the story. We call the periods that we did not witness "history." That's all. No more real than the history which takes place in The Stand.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:662337
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.