Agnostic.com

19 24

LINK Firearms were the leading cause of death in children in 2020, researchers say : NPR

"For decades, auto accidents have been the leading cause of death among children, but in 2020 guns were the No. 1 cause, researchers say.

"Overall firearm-related deaths increased 13.5% between 2019 and 2020, but such fatalities for those 1 to 19 years old jumped nearly 30%, according to a research letter in New England Journal of Medicine."

What is it going to take to turn this around???? How do we convince those who think the right to guns should be unfettered?

JonnaBononna 7 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a plague in this country that won't be overcome quickly or easily and faces an extremely uphill battle to make even the smallest progress. The rabid pro-gun culture in this country go crazy when even the slightest whisper of gun control is spoken aloud. The vast majority seem incapable of even the smallest of compromises because it seems far too many think that their little collection of guns will somehow save them when "the government" becomes tyrannical. Because certainly a handful of guns can hold off a heavily armed police force from storming someone's suburban split-level.

Mass shootings and school shootings are now simply a part of life in the U.S. and this won't change anytime soon. The pro-gun cult will see to that. I doubt there's any number of dead children high enough that it would sway them from their lust for guns.

Agreed. If the shooting at Sandy Hook didn't sway people, nothing will.

The logic to get to the statistics is complicated.

Some assumptions.
Due to Covid children were subjected to fewer vehicle miles.
Children were near guns more than normal.
Parents and children were under more stress than normal.
Dickheads did not secure their firearms.

Kind of hard to secure a firearm and have it available for immediate use in case you need it.

@Trajan61 I can unlock my safe in 5 seconds or less

@glennlab 5 seconds is a long time when you have someone coming threw your door.

isn't death the leading cause of death?

Death is the result, not the cause.

Sooo Governor Kemp has made it much easier and likely that children WILL get a hold of guns to shoot themselves and each other. Brilliant!

Almost impossible to accomplish

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 25, 2022

You can go ahead and give the current crooked incompetent government your guns. I plan on keeping all of mine.

Why would you be giving up your guns? None of this is about taking your guns away. It is about stupid parents and also stupid kids.

May one who has been around firearms, such as rifles, etc, for most of his entire life ask exactly and precisely what this American obsession with them is REALLY all about, especially as it seems, so many of you appear to live in cities that are a relatively long way away from the actual wilderness areas of the U.S?

@Triphid For your information I live in the country and it would likely be at least 30 minutes before law enforcement could come to my house if I had a problem. Besides we use our AR15 and AR10 rifles to shoot coyotes which are a regular nuisance around calving cows and especially first calf heifers. We also use them to kill wild hogs which have became quite destructive in recent years.

@Trajan61 REALLY now and where precisely in this very wide land known as Australia do you think that I live, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane perhaps?
No friend, the NEAREST, YES NEAREST, MAJOR city to me is 500 ( 300 miles) kilometres away, i can WALK from my front door for about 10-15 minutes and be in the actual outback countryside complete with snakes, flies, 'roos, emus, etc, etc, EVERYTHING the Australia Outback has to offer.
I have worked on Grazing Properties that in comparison to those you seem to be mentioning here would make yours look like Hobby Farms, i.e. land acreages of up TO and including 93,000 acres, YES Ninety THREE THOUSAND acres, and some even BIGGER than that.
Oh and fyi, we get Feral Pigs, Feral Dogs, Feral Cats, Feral people, either from Australian cities or pre-Covid, the U.S. who think that gates were invented to be KEPT OPEN and not as barriers to stop stock from straying, sadly those ferals are protected by Law and being HUMAN(???) cannot be shot on sight for trespassing though when one sees the wilful damage they do one so often wishes that one could merely shoot them in the arse and thus teach them a lesson or two.
NOW, you were saying?
Oh, and I forgot to include Feral Foxes as well in the list above.

@Triphid To bad you Aussies don’t have the right to own AR15 and AR10 rifles then you could keep the critters under control. Surely ferel pigs aren’t protected. If they are protected you definitely have a tyrannical government.

@Triphid Besides if we keep electing crooked senile idiots like Joe Biden we may need our guns to fight the government.

@Trajan61 HEY, READ MY LIPS Numb0nuts, I AM an Australian, I live in Australia and was born and RAISED in Australia by Australian Born and Raised parents.
I guess your schooling did NOT include ACTUALLY reading and COMPREHENDING what is written down and in front of you then did it.

@Trajan61 No, Instead I own a 7.69mm German Mauser rifle and 270 rounds of ammunition PLUS a Mongolian style Recurve Hunting Bow and 2 dozen assorted arrows, all which I am extremely proficient with.
Oh and Feral pigs are free game btw, so IF you are ever over here and out in the bush country TRY NOT to grunt, snort or squeal, Aussie Feral or American Feral pig, makes no difference when it is the sights.

@Triphid I assume you typed that caliber in wrong I can't find a single reference to that ammo online, if it's correct it's a very hard to find and probably expensive round. And you expect people to believe you are proficient with a rifle like that. You would have shot the barrel out of that thing by now, especially parts and gunsmiths being so rare in Australia. Most mausers I find are chambered in different calibers to the one you mentioned, even more so the old military surplus rifles. Come on man you can't argue gun stuff with Americans we will call you on your obvious bs. I probly shot more rounds in my last range trip than you have in the last 50 years

@Smurfing101 Maybe he meant the 7.92 X 57 , the 8 mm Mauser? Or perhaps he’s just full of crap?

@Trajan61 he probably has an old rifle he doesn't take care of and hasn't seen in 50 years yet claims he's an expert.

@Smurfing101 Oh attempting both humour and insults with the same posting I see.
I'll do you a deal, you come over my way, I'll get Herman, my nickname for the Mauser btw, out of where I store it safely and securely, re-assemble it and check it over, load the magazine ( capacity 6 in the magazine + 1 up the spout btw, and then we will head out in to the bush country and you can have a 400 yards head start BEFORE I fire my first and ONLY shot that with OPEN SIGHTS, NO Scope, that will blow a hole through you like you were nothing but a sheet of dunny paper.
FYI, I was TRAINED by the local Instructor for the Army Reserves here in Broken Hill and he was also a Champion Rifle Shot for Target Shooting from, 300 yards, 400 yards, 500 yards, 600 yards and 1,000 yards for 12 consecutive years, he was my father.

@Triphid I doubt most of that, you didn't even know the caliber of the rifle you claim to be a marksman with

@Triphid I think you are full of shit.

@Triphid I don't doubt you own a weapon, I doubt you know how to use it as well as you say you do. Take a picture of the caliber either on the rifle or the ammo. Cause I've looked twice now with no luck finding anything in that caliber existing 7.69 according to Google doesn't exist or is too old to be made anymore

@Smurfing101 Oh REALLY ,did you FIRST engage BRAIN BEFORE attempting the Research or was it after perhaps.
7.69mm calibre was STANDARD for ALL German manufacture Mauser Rifles in both W.W.I and W.W.II they were preferred because of their reliability, accuracy and having a built-in 6 shot magazine that can be re-loaded by using a clip bundle of 6 bullets in less than 15 seconds.
Perhaps, JUST perhaps, you may wish to ask your infant sister or daughter, which ever one is available, to do your researching on line for you from now on.
Now please be a good little nut-sucker and go find a quiet corner and play with yourself and leave the grown ups to the things that are business for grown ups.

@Triphid I think your wrong. The 7.92 was standard in WW l and WW ll.

@Triphid pretty sure I knew more about guns when i was 8 years old than you will ever know. I just asked you to take a simple picture to prove you weren't full of it and you didn't do that. Maybe you can find a link to said caliber? But I doubt it, you're too full of yourself to admit when you're wrong.

@Triphid Here’s a screenshot.

@Trajan61 he blocked me when I told him to prove his claim with either a link or a picture. What a joke of a person. I didn't even go down to his level of name calling either. Lol typical anti gun nutter

@Smurfing101 Most gun control nuts know very little about guns and that’s the reason some of their purposed laws are just crazy. You sound like a sensible person on guns. Feel free to join us in the pro gun rights group if you haven’t already.

What will it take? Obviously it will take an Amendment to the Constitution. Remember the existing Second Amendment?

The 2nd amendment does not say that people can have any type of gun with no restrictions. All it says is you have the right to have one, and even that has restrictions- for example, convicted felons can't have a gun

@JonnaBononna why shouldn't felons be allowed to have guns, as long as their charges weren't violent I don't have a problem with it.

@JonnaBononna The problem is that when they catch a felon using a firearm during a crime they don’t punish them enough due to the Democraps soft on crime policies.

@JonnaBononna I never even implied the Second Amendment allowed all types of guns, nor did I say all restrictions were covered by the Second Amendment, so why did you bring that up?

You asked what will it take, I respoonded it will take a Constitutional Amendment. Do you disagree witht hat?

As usual, the regressives at npr, leave out the most important stat:
Last year, 9,000 black people were killed by BLACK people. That is why the number of children's deaths rose.
AND MOST OF THE GUNS WERE ILLEGALLY OBTAINED! Lots from the southern boarder.

White people killed under 600 black people last year.... Brown people killed more blacks that whities did.
Police killed less than 1,200 people, total, last year.

How overtly racist of you to conclude that the number of children killed by guns is less obscene because some were black.

Also, if you are going to make factual claims include your supporting evidence or just retreat to the conservative corner you've been relegated to because your word has no credibility here.

And most white people were killed by white people. Your point is moot.

@JonnaBononna Not moot at all it is very germane to the subject. Why can't you see the relationship?

That is the most overtly racist crap I have read in a long time.

You are more likely to be killed by someone you know than a stranger.

You are far more likely to die by gunfire if a gun is in the home.

@BufftonBeotch "you are more likely to die by gunfire if a gun is in the home" no shit that's how everything works. That is one of the worst arguments I've ever read. Thats like saying "you are more likely to fall down the stairs if you have stairs in your house" please reevaluate how you think

@Tejas maybe you should reevaluate how YOU think. That statistic tells me I need to keep fucking guns out of my house.

@JonnaBononna if you have a TV in your house it's more likely you might break a TV. If you own a dog it's more likely you will step in dog poop. It's a no Brainer type of logic. If you're not an idiot you will never shoot yourself or someone else, it only fires if you pull the trigger or are throwing not drop safe guns around. It's not rocket science

@Tejas Having knives in the house does not raise the risk of being violently stabbed by someone in your family or slicing your own throat in a suicide in the same way having a gun increases your risk of homicide or suicide by a handgun.
I have an ax and it does not increase my risk of being hacked death in any measurable way.
But unsecured guns, combined with drugs and/or alcohol and mentally unstable people with anger issues?
Only a matter of time before someone is ventilated.

@BufftonBeotch actually you are wrong on all points there. Sorry

@Tejas I am incredibly more at risk to be hacked to death because I have a ax?

Dang.

@Tejas, @JonnaBononna I grew up in the country on a small farm so I learned to shoot long guns from the time I was very young.
It is handguns and other types of weapons whose only real useful purpose is to kill human beings that I have an issue with.

@BufftonBeotch yes by your own logic and statistics. Saying no is going against your own point

@BufftonBeotch It is not the gun, it is the person. I don't own a gun now, but I was raised in a household that had man guns, all easily available. My father had about 6 handguns, many rifles and a few shotguns.

The thought of using any of those weapons to harm a human bever even crossed my mind.

@JonnaBononna If you keep guns out of your house you are more likely to become the victim of criminals. The gun is just a tool to defend yourself against crooks who are bigger and stronger than you.

@Trajan61 There is no evidence that "If you keep guns in your house you are more likely to become the victim of criminals". A bigger criminal would just take the gun away from a chickenshit like you.

@LovinLarge Common sense should tell you that armed people are less likely to become a victim of criminals. In the event that a bigger criminal did try to take my gun away from me it’s highly likely they would have to eat a few bullets in the process.

@Trajan61 Yes, I'm sure you are absolutely dying for the opportunity to feed bullets to a criminal although I suspect anyone would do. But if you had any actual common sense you would realize that that there is no way for potential criminals to anticipate which homes are armed.

@LovinLarge My common sense tells me that in the unlikely event of a break in it would be better to be armed.

@Trajan61 Evidence establishes fact and you have no evidence to support your claim so you have not established your claim as a fact.

I personally have never seen you contribute anything to this forum that would suggest that your common sense is reliable.

@LovinLarge I don’t think you even have any common sense.

@Trajan61 Whenever you disagree with me, I know I'm right.

So far nothing will change if people don't stand up.

Sad but true and in the U.S. it seems that they value their firearms more than they do their own lives or those of children.
Australia Stand Tall and Stand Proud, we saw a HUGE problem surfacing and we acted upon immediately.

@Triphid New Zealand also acted swiftly. I am a liberal and have fired guns at ranges. I have no issue with responsible adult ownership of guns with some caveats. They should be registered, locked in a strong gun safe, not used or accessible to children without adult supervision. The AR15 style weapons and large magazines are not ok, they serve no purpose other than taking human life. There has to be a line otherwise what's next? Cannons becoming fashionable?

@MizJ Lady, I also have used rifles since I was a young lad, my father taught me everything about them, how to handle them SAFELY, etc, etc, I still own and have it registered and securely stored away a 1917 model German made Mauser rifle complete with 270 rounds of ammunition that has been used to kill feral pugs many times in the last 40 years so you are trying to preach to the choir here BUT, imo, there is as vast a difference between how we in the WISER and Saner Westernised countries view firearms than there is in the U.S.

@MizJ cannons are legal to own and fire

@Triphid And I am as perplexed as you are why there is so much fascination with firearms here. Many of us don't feel that way but those with the "Wild West" mentality are the ones that get the attention and are responsible for all the BS. When I travel overseas I am often asked about it and many assume I have an arsenal. One thing I have noticed is regarding this and other issues such as COVID is the lack of discussion about the greater good, everything revolves around personal freedoms.

@MizJ Could be as a Psychologist Associate of mine once posited, "American males + smaller the brain and/or penis, the bigger the firearm required as compensation."

@Triphid I thought they bought massive pickup trucks hahahahahaha

@MizJ That too.

@Jolanta And of course they must add a lift kit so that it sits up so high off the ground you must need a ladder to get in it. There are so many of them here that it was scary driving a Mini Cooper, at traffic lights all I could see in the rear view was grill.

@MizJ And that too, anything in fact to TRY to cover up and make amends for their very obvious lack of an adequately sized manhood.

@MizJ Gun registration is the first step to confiscation. For that reason I will never register my guns.

@Trajan61 No one will be coming for legally owned guns. How would you prove ownership if stolen? Doesn't the dealer record the sale?

@MizJ Yes the dealer keeps records. It is against the law for the federal government to keep records of gun sales. If a gun is used in a crime law enforcement will go the manufacturer and find out what dealer they sold the gun to. Then they will go to the dealer and find out who they sold the gun to. That’s how they find out who owned guns used in crimes. Private sales of guns are still legal so there are a lot of guns that are not registered to the original owner. Most guns that are used in crimes are either stolen or purchased on the black market anyway.

@MizJ You can write down a list of your guns along with the model and serial number to prove ownership.

@Trajan61 How do get to that conclusion?

@Jolanta what conclusion are you refering to?

Well...we could put all the Legislators in a room...then arm some shooters with high capacity weapons and tell the legislators they have 24 hours to come up with a meaningful Bill to get rid of the High Capacity Weapons...or they will find out what it feels like to be a kid nowadays. I have no sympathy for any politician who sells his soul to a LOBBYIST.

Hmm funny how none of my high capacity magazines are used for anything other than range practice just like 99 percent of the rest of gun owners. Banning high capacity magazines would get so many law enforcement officers killed as most police use 10 to 20 round magazines as their standard issue. It would restrict officers to a revolver with what 5 or 6? While criminals will still use what they already have. Not to mention some people have been shot up to 14 times and still lived. Attack the real problem, a culture that glorifies crime and mentally ill who don't get proper treatment.

@Tejas There's always some lame excuse to allow the carnage to keep escalating. It's why we have the slaughter we do so some people can claim their rights are above others lives. Oh, exceptions do not make the rule.

@Tejas High capacity laws are generally not aimed at standard magazines which can go as high as 17 to 20. What they are looking at controlling are 30, 50 or more aftermarket magazines. Not sure why you need 50 round magazines to target shoot. Maybe a grenade launcher or a bazooka would help destroy the target with less work. 😂

@Barnie2years police use 30 round magazines in their rifles. It's obvious you don't shoot much if at all. Capacity laws are just as ridiculous as most other gun laws.

@Tejas I probably own more guns than you. And I’ve been shooting longer. And I support many of the gun laws proposed. But I’m quite aware that the country is so saturated with firearms most laws would be as effective as DUI laws, speeding laws, drug laws and child abuse laws. They don’t stop most people from ignoring them. But they may prevent a few. Requiring training, carry permits, and serious background checks could prevent at least some deaths. Target practice does not require 100 round magazines, silencers, armor piercing ammo, and automatic fire. If you want to play soldier, be one.

@Barnie2years defending one's self from a hostile entity might require a 100 round drum mag which is what the amendment is for. Silencers don't really do what they do in the movies, most use them for extra barrel length which means more velocity. Standard fmj rounds can be considered armor piercing. Automatic weapons in civilians hands are very rare, and you wouldn't see one at a gun store anywhere. Your gun knowledge is out dated to say the least

@Barnie2years Did no-one ever tell you the FACT that it is NOT the capacity of the magazine that kills it IS the BULLET fired by the idiot holding and using the firearm that does the killing.
Friend, I was brought up around rifles, taught the CORRECT way to use them from as old as I could hold, handle and CORRECTLY Aim and Fire a .22 calibre rifle, my father was an Instructor for the local Army Reserve Unit here and a renowned Marksman I probably know more about firearms than you could ever learn in 3 life times or more.
So tell me something I do NOT know about Australian Gun Laws and Usage of Firearms in Australia which, IF the U.S. had ANY BRAINS at ALL, WOULD be being adopt post-haste in the U.S. BEFORE they wie themselves out completely THUS saving their numerous ENEMIES the task of doing so.

@Triphid first, you and Tejas would be surprised what I know about firearms. Second, I am advocating for gun laws, not against them. Third, what happened with firearms in Australia as well as in Britain would never happen in the United States. The shear volume of weapons in civilian hands is way beyond any other country. Vast numbers of them are stolen weapons, so untraceable and uncounted. Legally owned weapons and millions of rounds of ammunition are held by citizens that are not going to give them up. In urban areas, gangs have warehouses full of firearms and ammo.
Occasionally cities have gun buy backs. What they usually get are guns that are so old they are useless, widows who want to get rid of their husband’s weapons, pellet guns and a few that people found that they forgot they had. They do little to help lower the numbers of guns on the streets. Even smaller cities like the one I live and nearby have two or more shootings a week anymore, with little the police can do to stop it. One nearby have confiscated hundreds of weapons and still had three people shot in three incidents in one weekend. That doesn’t mean there should be no regulatory laws, nor should we go back to the old west style mid-day Main Street gun battles.

@Tejas I'd like to know what you're doing to make such hostile enemies that you need a 100 round drum mag to take them out. I'm 57 years old and have lived in some of the most violent cities- Chicago, St. Louis, New Orleans- and have never ever felt the need to have a gun to protect myself. Either you are a crime lord, or a scared little man, or you're turned on by gun power.

@JonnaBononna I was referring to a hostile government or foreign invader something along those lines. I've lived in a couple bad cities myself actually in the bad side of town too. Had my house broken in twice known plenty of people who have robbed or been robbed. I'm glad you haven't felt the need for a gun but the need my arise especially in bad neighborhoods. Why do you think criminals carry guns, to protect themselves from other criminals.

@Tejas good luck with your guns against the kind of weaponry our government or any other would have 🙄

@JonnaBononna if that's how you feel, why is the Ukrainian government arming their citizens?

@Tejas ummm...maybe because there is a Russian Army invading their country?...or is that all fake news?

@phoenixone1 read two posts up and tell me this comment still makes sense.

@Tejas the response was to you...simply put...if your country is being invaded...then yes...arm the citizenry...if no one is trying to invade...then no, you don't need automatic and semiautomatic weapons...or high capacity magazines...or tanks, or RPG's, or missiles, or Attack Aircraft. That is for the Military and only goes in the citizens hands to defend the country and the last time I checked we arent being invaded.

@phoenixone1 the constitution would disagree with you. Ever heard of privateers. The government used to let civilians use their privately owned warships in battle against our enemies. If people were allowed to use their boats as warships then under the constitution, then surely people are allowed to own modern weapons.

@phoenixone1 you think the government should only arm us to fight against a tyrannical government that logically makes no sense. The second amendment was written so we have the right to arm ourselves against a tyrannical government. So how would we do that if the people who arm us are our oppressors?

@Barnie2years Hey try NOT to get your knackers in a knot and do NOT get up my arse because I simply stated a fact, i.e. GUNS do not KILL people, Idiots with Guns use Guns to kill people BECAUSE WITHOUT a HUMAN to use them a gun is useless.
Oh and it may surprise you that like England we adopted Gun Ownership Laws and Regulations to TRY or best to STOP our countries ending up as the Slaughtering Room that the U.S. has turned itself in to BECAUSE the Seppos SEEM to need GUNS to enhance their OWN person images, etc, etc.

@Tejas sorry but this country is drunk with power and the arguments presented by the pro gun lobby are nothing more than paranoid delusions that do nothing but get more people killed ... At a faster and more sustained rate. All we hear from the lobbyists is fear mongering...that seems to be the outrage du jour. 5 rounds in a clip should be your maximum. If you can't take down a deer with that many rounds then you are a bad shot. Cry me a river because I think your ego boosting high capacity mags are a menace to society. You want more fire power then join the Military and prove you are smart enough and trustworthy enough to to be granted the responsibility. The bar is set high in the Service for a reason. And as I recall it isn't the Military who are gunning down our children...

@phoenixone1 actually our military do gun down children, or haven't you heard of the half a million civilian deaths we caused in the middle east? And the second amendment has nothing to do with hunting. Most modern guns don't use clips their called magazines, clips are for older and mostly foreign rifles. What about farmers and ranchers who sometimes need to kill up to 30 to 50 or more hogs in a night just to keep their crops and land safe? My high capacity mags are a fun time at the range and a contingency plan at the most. Most "gun violence" in the us is committed by handguns btw. Your view would just take protection from normal people and save little to no lives.

@Tejas your arguments have been used over and over and over like a broken record...distracting to the Middle East War is invalid. Shooting 3 to 50 hogs in one night...so you would have to reload either 0 times for 3 pigs or 9 times with 50(assuming you hit what you aim at). Protection? From what? How many times has your family been threatened? The only reason you feel threatened is you own insecurity...and just maybe all the hype and rhetoric that is being pumped down everyone's throat by the NRA and Consevative Media. I am 70, served 4 years in the Marines, raised 3 boys and a girl...lived in 3 States and used to spend my weekends in NYC when I was in my 20's. I owned one Remington pre-64', 870 Wingmaster and sold it as I didn't want to transport it interstate when I moved...I never felt threatened...I never felt the need to have high capacity anything. I am sorry for you that you feel "threatened". You are the one who is insecure...but Columbine, Sandy Hook, Las Vegas and Parkland are reason enough to get this Military Grade weaponry off the streets. This is about BIG BUSINESS making BIG MONEY...I guarantee if one of your kids was a victim you would feel much different.

@phoenixone1 your arguments have been used time and time again. You are also the one who brought up the military killing people. I really don't see any point continuing this because you have no real argument. The right for citizens to own guns is in our constitution, not I or anyone else has to reason why we want to or do own them. I'm glad in your safe privileged life you've never felt the need for a gun but that is not the case for everyone.

@Tejas safe, privileged life? Hardly, I try to make good choices. You want to own a gun...fine...but the need for High Capacity Mags is just plain insanity for the civilian population. Have a nice life...

@phoenixone1 how would you feel if some criminals broke in your home or robbed you and your family during a nice day out and they shot one of you? You being defenseless with no gun no chance to fight back. Think about not being able to defend yourself or your loved ones from people who would do you harm. Sounds like a nightmare to me, and I would be willing to sacrifice alot just for the chance of not making my family a victim.

@Tejas you sound as though you are living in a nightmare where you feel threatened and you are attempting to use that as a justification for your lust for more powerful weapons. Just remember, " He who lives by the sword does by the sword". So much for "I really don't see any point continuing this" ... I guess that only applies if you get in the last word. I will say again...have a nice life, I hope you feel less threatened in your days ahead.

@phoenixone1 it's not about feeling threatened. It's about being prepared

@Tejas threatened...paranoid...potata...potota. 😂

@phoenixone1 you wear shoes to protect your feet when you walk don't you? Same concept. Guns are a tool to be used when needed. I'm sorry logical thinking is beyond your grasp.

@Tejas 5 round magazine...50 round magazine...who is the paranoid gun owner? Smfh

@phoenixone1 when you can argue in good faith get back to me. Gun grabbing fudd

@Tejas don't you mean...when I can agree with your way of paranoid thinking? Good faith is not something you can offer when you are advocating for the very thing that took the lives of all these children. Good faith would involve a conscience and it is pretty obvious the only thing you care about is your ability to spray as many bullets as you can in the shortest amount of time...I feel so sorry for the families that have to not only face the loss of their loved ones, but then they have to listen to the pathetic excuses by the very people who helped make it possible for these weapons to be made available...sad people and their sad little lives that can't live without their guns. So sad.

I fear for the future of America.

Meanwhile, in this shithole state, you will now be able to buy and carry with no permit or training.

Same in Iowa.

PA tried but they couldn’t overcome the Democratic governor’s veto.

And the NRA laughs and cheers.

For over 50 years, I've been hearing about how the government was going to take away everyone's guns.
It never happened.

Americans are stupid and generally only care about what they think concerns only them.

Unless their kid gets killed, they might change their minds.
Even then, they still might not.

If it hasn't happened by now, it isn't likely to.
Sad, but true.

The answer is NO. Too many people believe guns should not be restricted- one of many cases in which Americans are stupid- and also the gun makers have too much money and power in our political system of legalized bribery. So nothing will fundamentally change on gun laws...

We might eventually convince America to adopt saner gun laws but there are so many guns everywhere in America it won't make a lot of difference.

Even if you can prevent one dead child or person by sane gun laws it is worth it.

And, imo, YOU might also teach Pigs to fly, a possibility that has a far, far better chance of becoming a reality than America having and enforcing ACTUAL Firearm Laws similar to those in the more Intellectually evolved countries on this planet.
Psst, a small News Bulletin for America, the British are NO LONGER interested in invading the U.S. neither is Mexico as well, ergo you do NOT need to arm every man and his dog any longer.
And to reduce/stop future assumed threats from future assumed enemies, simply STOP trying to Americanize the rest of the World and clean up your own backyard FIRST.

@Triphid There are ways of lessening the Americans' ethnocentrism and the subsequent imperialism. As a child I spent a lot of time at the public library; sometimes it seemed as if the rest of the world was waiting to be discovered there. Travel is the second but many get this wrong. It's not found on a cruise ship or a tour bus, it takes effort. That effort is rewarded by seeing the beauty that is out there.

In rural France I went to a mom and pop restaurant by myself. I used all the French I knew within the first few minutes and they spoke little English. Had one of the best meals of my life and left there knowing their names.

Too many here never leave the state they were born in.

And in other nations, which have sensible gun control, gun deaths are almost INSIGNIFICANT as a cause of death among children.

Dreadful statistics.

Dreadful, imo, sickening, appalling, disgusting, woeful, I could go on but words seem to escape me as to just how horrific the attitude towards firearms and deaths from/by firearms appears to be.
It makes me wonder IF the adage of "The bigger the firearm the smaller the penis" applies so well and aptly in the U.S. males in particular perhaps.

Is that the very BEST you can say, " Dreadful statistics," when children are dying simply because of their parents, etc, etc, Obsessions with firearms and irrational fears that some stranger MIGHT be intent upon shooting you just because he she owns a gun.
It is TRULY any wonder that the U.S. has the most and wealthiest Undertakers and Funeral Home Services in the ENTIRE Western World?
Imo, the ONLY thing TRULY lacking in the U.S. is ENOUGH Fully Secure Asylums to house, permanently ALL the Gun Nuts that roams the U.S.
Shit, I own a 1916 model 7.69 mm German Mauser rifle in EXCELLENT working condition, it is stored away in a specially built gun safe, the ammunition and and bolt kept separate from each other and it ONLY comes out about ONCE per month to be removed from the oil-skins that it is wrapped to be cleaned, checked and re-oiled and is then replaced.
There 2 reasons why I have it and keep it,
a) it was a bequest from an Great- Uncle who served at both Gallipoli and on the Western Front, and,
b) it serves to remind me, mostly, of the stupidity of war, but it also has, in the past, served me well as a very accurate rifle for hunting down feral goats and pigs especially.

@Triphid I could use many adjectives…but I chose to say dreadful because thats what the statistics are. I’m not American and thank my good luck not to live in a society where guns are so easily purchased and recklessly and carelessly carried around and left in reach of children. No amount of condemnation or ranting by me or you or anyone who is not a US citizen will make a damn bit of difference…only Americans can fix it, and as far as I can see that ain’t going to happen anytime in the near future. I’m glad I don’t have to worry about any of my grandchildren becoming yet another dreadful statistic!

@Marionville As a nurse I have seen FIRST hand what firearms can and have done to both children and adults alike, so, sorry to say this, but you ARE preaching to the choir here.

"The odds that a child will be killed by a gun is 36 times higher in the U.S. than in other high-income countries. Suicide by firearm makes up more than one third of those gunshot deaths among adolescents."

[reuters.com]

Shocking!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:662723
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.