Agnostic.com

6 19

U.S. intel helped Ukraine protect air space, shoot down Russian airplane carrying hundreds of troops.

Ukrainian forces have used specific coordinates shared by the U.S. to direct fire on Russian positions and aircraft, current and former officials tell NBC News.

As Russia launched its invasion, the U.S. gave Ukrainian forces detailed intelligence about exactly when and where Russian missiles and bombs were intended to strike, prompting Ukraine to move air defenses and aircraft out of harm’s way, current and former U.S. officials told NBC News.

That near real-time intelligence-sharing also paved the way for Ukraine to shoot down a Russian transport plane carrying hundreds of troops in the early days of the war, the officials say, helping repel a Russian assault on a key airport near Kyiv.

It was part of what American officials call a massive and unprecedented intelligence-sharing operation with a non-NATO partner that they say has played a crucial role in Ukraine’s success to date against the larger and better-equipped Russian military.

The details about the air defenses and the transport plane, which have not previously been reported, underscore why, months into the war, officials assess that intelligence from U.S. spy agencies and the Pentagon has been an important factor in helping Ukraine thwart Russia’s effort to seize most of the country.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a combat vet, I would hope that we always make war the last option. However when dealing with a bully like Putin I really don't see any other options. I am glad we're helping and I hope that we continue to help until the threat is eliminated.

After this Putie might play nice and retreat his forces and call for peace. That still might be a long shot of an optimist.

Awesome

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 26, 2022

As far as I can tell, joining NATO definitely discourages Russian aggression. Right? Russia hasn't attacked NATO yet. But because Ukraine is not in NATO, this was something Russia (i.e., Putin) thought he could get away with. This is typical bully behavior.

As this news came out, I remembered Malaysia 17.

I just read that article. Good for us.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:662975
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.