Agnostic.com

14 15

New study on Omicron immunity. I tested positive for COVID-19.

Yesterday I tested positive. Luckily I was double vaccinated and twice boosted (Pfizer). I always wear a mask in public indoor spaces, despite the mask mandate being lifted. Never eat in restaurants.

For three-days I had a fever, a harsh, wracking, violent cough, body aches, headache and deep fatigue. Felt like I tore a muscle behind my ribs from coughing so hard. The fever stopped. Cough abated. I feel much better. Just exhausted.

Wonder if I got Omicron by running unmasked on a popular riverfront trail. Knew I was taking a risk. Thought I was safe outdoors.

Monoclonal antibodies IV treatment

Today I will get a one-hour IV treatment. Monoclonal antibodies treatment for COVID-19. Ring! "I saw your email message to Dr. Hendricks," a nurse said on the phone. She talked me into it. Asthma. Age 68.

She doesn't want me to get a relapse, land in the hospital or die. Nor do I. Lost my appetite. Dropped to 106-lbs. Don't want to get frail.

A million Americans have died from COVID-19. I feel lucky to have treatment options.

New study

"Study just came out," Bill, MD, texted. "Roughly 75% of unvaccinated people have been tested as immune, most likely because of undetected or unknown exposure to Omicron."

"Also the majority of people who were vaccinated are also testing positive for Omicron, even if they didn't know they had an infection," he said.

Ten-days of isolation

Canceled appointments. Will help Alexandria, the girl I'm mentoring, by having her email her draft essays for scholarship applications. Then I will call her. We can go over her essays over the phone.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hope you get well fast, Kathleen. It's a little scary that even a "mild" case sounds like it can be really nasty. I'm lucky, never been infected (and hope it stays that way).

@alliwant

My self-responsibility finally paid off. While sick, I scheduled a drive-through COVID test at Walgreens pharmacy. The day I got a positive COVID-19 result, I immediately emailed my doctor. Gave her the dates to notify the Health Dept.

Her nurse promptly called me. She talked me into IV treatment that prevents a relapse, hospitalization and death. Schedule it the next day. The IV treatment must be done within five days of the onset of symptoms.

Whoo-hoo! I had a tremendous surge of energy after the IV treatment.

The nurse set up the IV in the back of my hand.

"Instead, I am going to inject this new medication called Bebtelovimag, developed specifically for the Omicron variant," she said. "Followed by 20 minutes of saline to distribute it into your body and hydrate you. People who are sick don't drink enough water."

After that, I sat reading for 30 minutes to ensure I didn't have an adverse reaction.

Sorry to hear you were ill with COVID. It sounds like your 3 days were ruff. It was good you were fully vaccinated against COVID. I have a friend in London that had COVID after binging fully vaccinated and he had a similar clinical course.

I'm one of the 75% immune it seems, couldn't catch it if I tried.

Brother and his girlfriend had it with whom I co-habitat. She was informed she was positive after a PCR test received 6 days after the test was taken, told to isolate for 7 days from time of test (pretty fucking useless advice, think the horse had bolted by then).
I was hugging and kissing my dying positive father, spent hours by his side
Had contact with my positive son, like sharing bongs, an hour before he tested positive.

None had severe symptoms, even my Father who looked like he had been rescued from a death camp. He died from dementia, although "covid" was put as a secondary cause which has really upset my Mother who knows that is a croc of shit. He had a high temp for a day is all, died 6 days later with temp normal. He was not vaccinated due to his dementia and erratic blood pressure but caught covid from fully vaccinated staff.

You do know the Russians were utilising Monoclonal antibody treatment very early in the pandemic, which was poo pooed by the illustrious "experts" at the time, instead sticking to the agenda of "vaccinate all is the ONLY way out of this".

Hope you recover and wish your mentored student good luck in her studies

puff Level 8 Apr 28, 2022

@Gwendolyn2018 I don't and am very aware of others safety having been a regular visitor to a nursing home for 3 years. I do my own risk assessment which have been far more effective eg apply safety expertise rather than medical when devising how to minimise risk to others especially but also myself.
For me the whole pandemic screams safety so I apply that knowledge when doing public activities ie there is a hazard that poses a risk which can be effectively managed with control methods. Being fully vaccinated cause many (not you by the sounds of it) to discard other measures like good hygiene and distancing; the vaccines create a false sense of security which has enabled more spread imo.
A great pity the vaccines do not stop transmission, wish they did.

@Gwendolyn2018 Taking care of yourself as in individual responsibility is the way to go, and what "vulnerable" people did pre-pandemic anyway.
Life is risk and some of us are risk takers, some are not. I'm not saying you should put others at risk with your choices at all, and if the vaccines effectively stopped transmission this would be the case so I would support their uptake by all fully. But they don't unfortunately, which is why I'm totally against a certain percentage of the population must be vaccinated to achieve a herd immunity and the coercion employed to achieve this aim. If it's not stopping transmission there will be no herd immunity achieved through a vaccination program, simple really.
As I said hope all goes well for you and do what you think is best to protect yourself and others. But don't forget to live life either.

@Sofabeast, @zeuser, @HippieChick58, @Moolah, @Lauren, @Gwendolyn2018, @Redheadedgammy, @Paddypereira, @silverotter11, @KKGator, @xenoview, @Robert_2001, @puff, @Garban,

Whoo-hoo! I feel a tremendous surge of energy after the IV treatment.

The nurse set up the IV in the back of my hand.

"Instead, I am going to inject this new medication called Bebtelovimag, developed specifically for the Omicron variant," she said. "Followed by 20 minutes of saline to distribute it into your body and hydrate you. People who are sick don't drink enough water."

After that, I sat reading for 30 minutes to ensure I didn't have an adverse reaction.

This treatment must be done within five days of the onset of symptoms. In my case, it was day 5.

That's wonderful news! How exciting.

I love water, I drink cups and cups of water every day. I get my 40 oz, or whatever the advice is, plus a bit more just because I like water. I don't drink sodas or coffee. I carry a 40 oz. Hydroflask and refill it at lunch time. Staying well hydrated is good for your skin, I'm told I don't look my age. I'm glad the treatment seems to have rejuvenated you.

Good news. That wasn't available back in February while I had it. Yay!

@HippieChick58 I do the same thing. My water is always by my side. 😉

Great stuff!!! Hopefully your recovery was smooth.

@Lauren, @HippieChick58, @Paddypereira, @zeuser, @Gwendolyn2018

The funny thing is my over-responsible behavior finally paid off. In the midst of feeling very sick, I made an appointment for drive-through COVID-19 testing at Walgreens pharmacy.

On the day I tested positive, I promptly emailed my doctor saying I tested positive for COVID-19 (with the dates) so she could notify the Health District. Reporting to the authorities.

Her nurse saw my message and quickly called me. She talked me into getting the IV treatment to prevent a relapse (hospitalization and death). She scheduled me for the treatment the next day.

@Gwendolyn2018

Good point! You're welcome. Glad to be of service.

I feel much better. Just a runny nose.

I have been working IN the office for the past 7 days. We're training, and for whatever reason they decided training has to be done in person. Yesterday I thought I was running a fever for a couple of hours, and then it went away. The office is not crowded, we're still mostly remote and I don't generally get close to people. I just want to get through this and then go back to WFH. Not that I don't trust other people, but I absolutely do not trust other people to make good decisions about what might affect me. @<a style="float:none;padding:0px;margin:0px;" href="/member/LiterateHiker"  data-profile-hover-info="63896">LiterateHiker</a> I hope you completely recover with no residuals. Take care of yourself. 

The crazy logic of the "we have to get back to normal" people can make us nuts ... or sick. Best wishes on getting back to WFH quickly and unscathed.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this, but glad you started with such a healthy baseline, and have access to the antibody treatment. The isolation is annoying, but it's worth taking the time needed to rest and recover.

I got it over New Year's after being triple vaxxed, with many of the same symptoms you had. It took every bit of three weeks for the congestion and coughing to be gone, and I'm very glad I had been vaccinated or I fear what could have happened as the severity does seem to be a crap shoot. My 83-year old, asthmatic mother was pretty much asymptomatic, and is who we believe likely gave it to me. I got my second booster a couple of weeks ago, and continue to mask when shopping or indoors, but I realize I could still get it again even through the mask as they're not foolproof. It can make us crazy trying to figure out how we got it.

I had the BA2 variant of Omicron recently. It certainly knows its way around the Pfizer vaccine. I was so ill I almost noticed it.... didn't even rate a 1 on the man flu scale. I had a very easy time of it, but my daughter was quite ill.
It spread through my work quickly and from unexplainable directions. Namely people who were fully vaccinated and boostered up who keep professionally very and indeed overly safe got it and that's in disinfected locations and wearing lots of PPE.
So get well soon lass.
Interestingly, I never thought I lost any sense of smell, but with recovery that sense appear very acute.

Take care of yourself, hon. I had covid in February. If I hadn't been vaxed, I am certain it would have killed me. Got the second booster at the start of this month. With any luck, that's the last I'll see of it. Get well soon. 💜

=0{
Heal soon. I think we have another year to go before it subsides. But nobody can predict the future. The important thing is you will rise to the occasion, & survive. Vaccinations work. I received a booster & shingles simultaneously & slept for 26 hours. Missed a whole day. Stay hydrated.

Sorry to hear this news! I hope you recover fully and feel better very soon! 😘

I hope you recover soon. Being vaccinated helps but it doesn't mean someone won't get it, as you already know, in the undesirable way. Let's hope for the best anyway.

Sorry to hear you are ill, I hope you get to feeling 100% better real soon.
I continue to avoid public gatherings. Wear a mask while shopping and fucking loathe the panic attacks that sometimes set my asthma off.
Just over 50% vaxed here in Kittitas County and very few wear a mask these days.

Hope you feel well soon.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

It aggravates me to no end just how deliberately ignorant people are choosing to be.
I don't care about anyone's "covid fatigue".
There is no going back to how things were before 2019.

I hope I don't get it, but I know it's still a possibility.

@KKGator

Thank you, dear.

Wonder if I got Omicron by running unmasked on the popular riverfront trail. Knew I was taking a risk. Thought I was safe outdoors.

@LiterateHiker Risk always exists, it is never zero. It is likely that you were safer (i.e. at less risk) outdoors. You are clearly very aware of and avoid high risk situations.

I am glad that you are now on the mend.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:663203
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.