Agnostic.com

7 26

Propagating a new plant from my 51-year-old Christmas Cactus.

As a high school senior, I started this Christmas cactus from a cutting in Michigan. After graduating from University of Michigan, I moved to Washington State to climb mountains and stayed.

I moved the small plant to Washington in the overhead bin in an airplane. Flying was much more relaxed in those days.

Started the cuttings earlier this week. The cut ends had to dry on top of the refrigerator for a few days. It's best to start cuttings in the Spring when the plant is growing strongly. Use a sharp razor blade to cut off the starts at a node.

It takes some fiddling around to get the cuttings to stand securely. Don't bury them- they will rot. (You can firm in the dried node a quarter-inch deep in the sand.) That's why I staked them. First I dipped the dried ends in rooting powder. Firmed them in well. Succulents root easily. Put a full-spectrum plant bulb in a nearby lamp.

The cuttings are balanced atop a half-inch of washed sand. The roots will grow downward to rich topsoil below. Overlapping pot shards are in the bottom of the pot for good drainage. It takes a long time for the cuttings to stand on their own.

Will give the plant to Claire-32 for her birthday in March. When she was , she laid under this Christmas cactus, gazing at the waterfall of flowers.

"The flowers look like butterflies, Mama!" Claire said.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Gorgeous. I have an elephant's foot, also called a ponytail plant, that I bought when it was 4 inches. It now is 7 feet tall after 45 years. The 3 inch round foot is now 4-5 feet circumference. I love this plant as it has been a faithful part of my life.

I've got to be planting another avocado that I have leafing out.

Good luck with the new cactus. When I was a kid we had a greenhouse business. I hated putting cactus in bigger pots.

Wow nice!! I must say you definitely take pride in everything you do!!

I took a baby spider plant and another plant to Germany with me in the 80's. I don't know if that was allowed or not. I put them in a plastic bag with a wet paper towel in the pocket of my coat. I was active duty Army, and I think I was on a MAC flight. After I got to Germany I went to a garden center and bought pots and potting soil. That was a crazy trip, I spoke no German and had asked someone in my building which busses to take. It's a miracle I survived. However, the plants did great and no one ever asked where they came from. I left them in Germany when I returned to the states, don't even remember what I did with them. I have had Xmas cactus, loved them and used to have many houseplants. My current house doesn't get good sunlight and I have katzen, so I don't have as many plants.

@Retiredsteve I arrived in Germany 1979 or '80. I was stationed in Augsburg. I loved Germany, not so much the Army. I was back in Germany in 1985, this time Stuttgart with my ex, I was no longer active duty. My middle daughter was born there. I got to meet some of my distant relatives, my mother's family came from Germany and Switzerland.

@Retiredsteve Every fall makes me think of Oktoberfest. The Germans are welcoming and jolly when they've got a couple of beers. One of my greatest regrets in life is that I don't like (can't drink) any carbonated beverages. No beer, no champagne, no soda. I drank lots of apple juice in Germany, until I discovered they carbonate that too. However, I do love the Gewürztraminer.

I love the two colour flowers, it must be a really good type well worth the effort.

@Fernapple

It's a "Thanksgiving type" Christmas cactus. It blooms from October to April.

Looking great, will grow and give you much to give away.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:663492
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.