Agnostic.com

12 2

Do illiterates exasperate you?

When people mess up "your" and "you're," I get a little exasperated. My 2 managers spell it wrong every time. One writes "ur."

Today a man asked for the #4. I toasted his bun for his baconator. Then... We told him the price, he flipped, then said, "I want the JBC!" Well, we told him, "That's the 4 for $4." I wasted a bun. People can't read when they order food. "Do you have sweet tea?" Does it say anywhere on the menu that we have sweet tea? No! They can't read. "Can I have a Mountain Dew?" Coke products are listed. Grrr...

Sarahroo29 8 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Halve sum patients, eye no its shirley ignorance knot illiteracy... there why sir then ewe sea, butt lay zee alot two...

there are so many signs nowadays and nobody pays attention to any of them

How do you think Trump got elected?

1. A western world which demonizes straight male behavior.
  2. A western world which demonizes white people.
  3. A last western bastion of Christianity which seems to be replaced. (Hopefully by atheism)
  4. A court-system which punishes males and rewards females due to a divorce.
  5. The appearance of a seemingly alpha-male behavior.
  6. And a hope, that radical people change the world radically to the positive.

I might be wrong, but these are my guesses.

I met intimidated by people who have jobs where they have to be good writers. I always fear that I am not doing something correctly. I try.

Yeah. I can see that. On the flip side, I would be as diplomatic as possible and order a cola, the subtext being that I don't care what brand. Most folks won't leave it at that. They'll announce the brand seeking, I guess, further clarification. Minor time-waster but I feel like I'm being corrected.

Now that I think about it, if RC was the brand in question I would be glad they told me.

"Your" when they mean "you're" is so ubiquitous that it hurts. On public signs...everywhere.

Their, their, calm down deer.

Your and you're, their and they're, would /could/should, and of course, the Oxford comma. And let us not forget irregardless, regardless of what they mean. I didn't use apostrophes until my late twenties, and I still gris my zéros, sevens, and Zs....
But what really gets me is people that avoid reading and expect you to it...May be they can't read, have dyslexia (as I have), or are just too lazy to read.... But our brains are wired for language at birth, so why do we shirk such a beautiful gift? Because technology has numbed us, Imnsho....

I agree with you but until we start re-investing in public education in this country or you move to another country you might want to consider a different job? I'm definitely not trying to be a smart ass but a better paying job with good benefits makes up for putting up with a lot of crap

I'm on disabilty. I can only do minimum wage jobs.

You're limited to that salary amount or that's the only job available with your disability?

Salary amount.

Well then maybe get another job with the same salary and less exasperating people? I've definitely struggled with my reactions to the same kind of situations/people as you're currently going thru. I am most sucessful when I am able to realize I can't control other people. I can only control my reactions to them. Don't know if this is as big a problem for you as it is with me but some 12-step groups have helped me.

Sometimes I want to grab them by the shoulders and shake them while yelling “What’s the heck is your problem “:

Me too.

Your to funny...

Haha.

That's just meen.

Hmmm.... ok.

Isn't working in the service industry fun? You had better find a new occupation before you kill someone.

I want to stab someone there with a fork. Lol. Joking.

That was good. "Spork your ass."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6639
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.