Agnostic.com

5 5

Fermi Paradox (I have posted this issue before but a new theory adds more credence to the theory).
”Astrobiologists Dr Michael Wong, of the Carnegie Institution for Science in Washington, and Dr Stuart Bartlett, of California Institute of Technology, have hypothesized that civilizations burn out when they grow too large and technical.
”Faced with an ever-growing population and eye-watering energy consumption, worlds hit a crisis point known as a "singularity" where innovation can no longer keep up with demand.”
”The only alternative to collapse is to abandon "unyielding growth" and adopt a balance that allows survival but prevents the society moving any further forward, or venturing far from its own spot in the universe.”
”The only alternative to collapse is to abandon "unyielding growth" and adopt a balance that allows survival but prevents the society moving any further forward, or venturing far from its own spot in the universe.”
”Writing in the Royal Society Open Science, Dr Wong and Dr Bartlett said: “We propose a new resolution to the Fermi paradox: civilizations either collapse from burnout or redirect themselves to prioritizing homeostasis, a state where cosmic expansion is no longer a goal, making them difficult to detect remotely.”
“Either outcome — homeostatic awakening or civilization collapse — would be consistent with the observed absence of (galactic-wide) civilizations.”
[yahoo.com] In other words technology will not save us and actually makes problems worse!

JackPedigo 9 May 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

EMINENT people said the exact same thing in the 1400's, the 1500's, the 1600's, the 1700's, aaaaannnnd etc.
There is nothing left to be invented.........uhuh

People in the Middle Ages had nothing but superstition to go on. How many, end of the world scenarios did they believe in (just like today). Problem is, this is not some religious apocalypse idea. It is based on science. Anyone paying attention to the basic facts of nature and the effects of climate change, and the idea we humans are somehow immune from our increasing impacts on the LIFE support system (we are in the Anthropocene or sixth great extinction). Most people have noo idea of our numbers and activities and. My daughter knows of my feelings in the environmental field but, the other day I mentioned some numbers and she was shocked. Always, people need to do their own research. [worldometers.info] This has been a passion of mine for 28 years. The basics are simple, but the details will bury us.

Paradoxes, IMO, prove only that the human mind can be easily deceived, usually by misdirection of some kind. The type of misdirection varies with the ability of the person explaining the paradox.

Olbers Paradox, for instance, may require what Edwin Hubble denied, an expanding universe. It misdirects by ignoring the amount of light a cell (a rod or cone) in a human eye requires before it sends a signal across a synapse to the next cell along a path to the brain. Compare with the amount of energy a cat's eye requires.

The Fermi Paradox has more than a few holes in it and has been obsolete from it's origin. Actually, it's really just disinformation encouraged by the military-industrial complex.

Then why not state some of the misconceptions. I have seen this before in other publications and several environmental groups that focused on the science of population demographics have also theorized this is very likely to happen if we don't change our way fast. We see the crash and extinction of other species when their numbers get too big, how are we any different?

@JackPedigo We may well not be different. It doesn't look good, but we adapt and so does life.

As to the Drake Equation:
N= number of civilizations with which humans could communicate. This begs the question of what the is meant by communication. How well do we communicate with dolphins? No, the means of communication is limited to the Radio Astronomy signals which are WRONGLY assumed to be the means by which an advanced species would communicate with us (as if they’d have any desire to). This is arrogant gaslighting and nothing less.

ne = mean number of planets that could support life per star with planets. Since the Drake Equation was first formulated, science has discovered how life can thrive on chemical sources, and flourishes hundreds of feet below the surface. Basically, our understanding of where life can survive is poor at best. We have no other perspectives other than our own solar system.

fl and fi = percent of planets developing life and percent of planets developing intelligent life. These calculations ignore transportation of life, intelligent or otherwise by intelligent species. That doesn’t even assume FTL travel.

Fundamentally, we do not have an understanding of how well life survives stellar life cycles, intra-galactic churning, nor how quickly heavier elements necessary for life built up in the early universe. If segregation processes are efficient, life could have started soon after the Big Bang. We simply cannot know these factors.

The Drake Equation seeks to endorse the work of SETI, and to discount the possibility of alien visitation. However, many legitimate historical documents indicate that the presence of aliens is either very good or a certainty. Newer documents only address the blowback of trying to keep this a secret in the face of interactions relating to surveillance of defense capabilities.

It is a certainty that many more flaws in the Drake Equation can be identified.

@racocn8 So to add more complicated equations to deal with a seemingly simple issue. The zone in the Milky way is called the Goldilocks zone." [exoplanets.nasa.gov] The age of the Universe shows other life forms had adequate time to evolve before our own. A publication in the 'Humanist Magazine' New Atheism, Meet Existential Risk Studies" indicate religion is a universal tendency. Just comparing history and looking at what's going here and now with a plethora of hits to the life on this planet should spell things out for most but the most obtuse to see. It's really not that hard.
[thehumanist.com]

To many it's been clear for some time we can not continue as we have been.

An expanding Universe will become cold and dead. I think this has occured to the real Universe, the one called Tao, and only electrons and time reside within it. That is a lesson human scientists have ignored since coming upon the expansion theory but it obviously applies to human life, as well, so this is not a big surprise finding. Just one that's been overlooked.

It also explains the republican party - cold and dead. 😏

The expanding universe will take many eons before it can affect us. Even the sun will die out in a couple of billion of years. We will be long gone before any of those things happen. We need to think of the next few decades.

@JackPedigo I'm saying it's already happened. We are an illusion within that true Universe.

@rainmanjr And this illusion is from whom or what? I see this as more anthropocentrism. We atheists are supposed to have a clearer understanding of the reality of life.

@JackPedigo I have said many times what causes it. Electrons magnetically attracted causing vibration. The illusion is the product of wave/particle formation in that vibration.

@rainmanjr So it's not an illusion but a reality. Maybe the illusion is all in some peoples minds. When I hear the comment "when a tree falls in the forest and no one (meaning human) is there to hear it does it make a sound?" Of course it does.

@JackPedigo Well, no it doesn't. This happens all the time in space (things explode) but no sound is made. As for the illusion being reality...again, no. Visualizations end with the uncoupling of electrons so they can not be said to be real.

@rainmanjr We are not talking about 'space' but an area with air which can transmit sound waves.

@JackPedigo If there is no receptor then there is no sound. That's my answer (staying with science). I do like the humor of an illusion being only in some people's mind, though.

@rainmanjr Seems we can, civilly, agree to disagree, good.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:664307
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.