Agnostic.com

6 7

Mary was never given the option to remain abstinent and not conceive Jesus.

This shapes views on rape and abortion.

TheMiddleWay 8 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mary never existed ... The whole narrative is bullshit

Yet there are still people (and politicians) who think that bible stories should be the basis for our laws.

Hmm... This is a good point.

Oh I wish I had the nerve to post these two sentences as a reply to my anti-choice relative who posted a comment to a FB post by a pro-choice mutual relative .

Her comment was, "Women should not let men allow their bodies to become pregnant with another human." Which I didn't understand, since I think she was missing some words, but I took it to mean she's out of touch with impregnation via rape and incest.

She's piously religious, so oh man, this would have been a good response to her comment, but I remained silent. I have to be careful what I post on FB, but not so much here. 😉

I would love to read more comments about the statement that "Mary was never given the option to remain abstinent and not conceive Jesus." as a reply to people who feel abstinence is the only answer to the abortion issue.

Why did men come to fear woman? This whole shift to making the women the brunt of every damn thing that goes wrong in a man's life happened in a relatively short span of human existence. The idea of religion has been around for a very long time in human existence and women at one time played a bigger role than now.
Is it just control? I feel fear is the motivating factor.

Maybe because the (perceived) role women play in reproduction is a daily reminder of mortality.

Simone de Beauvoir offered the theory that prior to men realizing where babies came from they thought women were magic. After realizing that a male was involved in procreation they wanted to make sure they only raised their own kids so they became possessive.

I just looked up spousal rape. And, while it is now a crime in all states, in quite a few the punishment is less severe; and in some, like Mississippi, much more difficult to prove.

Abortion only became an issue for the far right when segregation failed to get out the vote, but they did reinterpret their religious texts to justify the subjugation of women. They had long used them to justify their discrimination against people of color (Mark of Cain) and that the bible gave instructions on how to select and treat slaves and indentured servants.

You're making a very good but very sad point. Their God is a man and he does whatever he damn pleases.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:665719
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.