Agnostic.com

3 11

Idiot male carves rosebushes into cubes with chainsaw.

For 10-years, I have pruned and fertilized rosebushes around my apartment. My reward is beautiful, fragrant bouquets.

Yesterday Pepe stupidly carved rosebushes into dense cubes with a chainsaw. He cut off flower buds that were ready to bloom. I nearly cried.

It will take years for the rosebushes to regain their natural shape. So today I tried to open up the centers of the rosebushes to let air and light circulate. This helps prevent powdery mildew, black spot and insect invasions that kill the plant.

Then I texted Cody, son of the owner. Asked him to tell Pepe not to touch rosebushes. I will take care of them. (I realize I have no control.)

When I was married, Terry and I bought a house built in-1927. It had 36-rosebushes planted alongside green boxwood hedges along the property lines from the house to sidewalk. Framed the house. Beautiful, fragrant roses that are no longer available.

Learned to make them flourish. People loved the roses. So did I.

After our divorce, Terry kept the house. He still lives there. Terry wanted to tear out the roses. He didn''t want to take care of them.

I arranged for a nursing home to send their gardener. He carefully dug up the roses, wrapped the root balls in damp burlap, and filled in the holes. Paid Terry $400. I can visit my beloved roses in the nursing home courtyard.

Hopefully some of the residents get outside to look at them and smell them. My hope was to bring beauty and joy to elderly people.

LiterateHiker 9 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Rose bushes are the dicks of gardens. Next time I hope he cuts them off at ground level.

@jeshuey

That's a mean thing to say. I love roses.

Pepe got fired. He cut down beautiful trees and destroyed rhododendrons and other plants. The landscaping used to look lovely. Now it looks barren since Pepe got after it. The owner agrees.

Call a local garden center for advice. Not sure but you may be better off cutting those roses back dramatically for them to recover.

MizJ Level 8 May 12, 2022

@MizJ

My thoughts exactly. I will try that.

I know part of what you feel. Our first house in Chandler was a sort of demo for the development -- it had a slightly larger lot than any of the others and it had a huge gorgeous mesquite tree in the front.
But you had to keep the tree trimmed. I took 700 lbs of branches each year to the recycle. It also had several large beautiful flowering juniper bushes around the property.

A few years ago my wife happened to be in the area and looked in on it. The mesquite tree and the juniper bushes were all gone. A neighbor told her they didn't take care of the tree and it cracked in half. And the junipers attracted bees so they had them torn out.

Why would you buy a half acre house in a city, then ruin the property? The mesquite tree especially was at least 20 years old and was the pride of the neighborhood. People often just don't know what they do.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:665997
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.