Agnostic.com

8 6

In the "greatest democracy", USA, it is reported that genocide occurred between 1819 &1969 against First Nations People resulting in the deaths of more than 500 children, probably tens of thousands. Are you proud of your great nation & that you're still at it?

"The initial investigation found that 19 boarding schools (of 408) accounted for the deaths of more than 500 American Indian, Alaska Native, and Native Hawaiian children, but the number of recorded deaths is expected to increase."

[wpsdlocal6.com]

FrayedBear 9 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What's your country's history with Aboriginals?

Yet to be announced is the use of the children as guinea pigs for testing pharmaceutical products. Testing that the companies would have paid the government to be allowed to undertake.

I've been told by several adults institutionalised when children that they were given experimental drugs both in New Zealand & Australia.

I wonder if the difference lies in who actually did a lot of the founding of our respective nations. Many Australians ended up there as outcasts from Britain. America was founded by puritans, funded by business interests in Britain and land grants from the king.
What occurred in the US has happened where ever colonization took root - sadly the US seems to have this propensity for rewriting and denying it's horrible treatment of Native Peoples and all other peoples of color. I've known about this for a long time and the reason many do not know about it is our education system.
Sadly it's an Australian-born American businessman who founded among other businesses fox, a broadcast entertainment/"news" network that continues to keep many uneducated here in America.

The US government authorised by the citizens who allow Murdoch to flourish & publish his variety of outrageous printed diarrhoea. If the people were not prepared to pay for the Murdoch indoctrination he would have been bankrupted long ago.

The U.S. government authorised over 1,500 wars, attacks and raids on Indians, the most of any country in the world against its Indigenous people. By the close of the Indian Wars in the late 19th century, fewer than 238,000 Indigenous people remained, a sharp decline from the estimated 5 million to 15 million living in North America when Columbus arrived in 1492.

It is estimated that during the initial Spanish conquest of the Americas up to eight million indigenous people died, primarily through the spread of Afro-Eurasian diseases, in a series of events that have been described as the first large-scale act of genocide of the modern era.

How many Native Americans died on the General Winfield Scott Trail of Tears?
According to estimates based on tribal and military records, approximately 100,000 Indigenous people were forced from their homes during the Trail of Tears, and some 15,000 died during their relocation.

The lists of massacres, poisonings, deliberate infections and murders for land or profit goes on almost ad-nausium and yet even today the indigenous peoples of the US, Canada and Hawaii are denied any real or appropriate form of justice or recommence

Ty FYI Len. I'm sure many Americans are not aware of the numbers.

Almost all countries in the past have committed genocide and other atrocities, and that is nothing to be proud of. But yes you may have a limited and very reasonable pride in your country, if its culture has grown up enough to admit and acknowledge it past fully, since that is a real achievement and true patriotism is based on where we are today, not on the achievements or crimes of long gone ancestors, whose doings now belong to all of humanity, and not just single states.

"Almost all countries in the past have committed genocide and other atrocities, and that is nothing to be proud of. " Yes, this is true,
But most genocides are carried out when members of two or more religious, political or social groups inhabit the same land and are struggling for superiority.
However, Americans are almost unique in having colonised another county and almost succeeded in systematically and on an industrial scale completely exterminating the people and wildlife who were already there in order to steal the land for themselves and then to go on and fill it up with another race to use as slaves and yet more people to use as cheap labour.

@LenHazell53 True to a degree. But Tasmania, Argentina, and one or two others occur, just off the top of my head.

@Fernapple the Palawa people of Tasmania were treated appallingly, but were on the whole deported rather than massacred.
The 35 indigenous peoples of Argentina also were treated badly and made second class citizens in their own land, but there was no systematic extermination of them as there was in the US

But I take your point

@LenHazell53 [news.com.au]

I'm not proud of any atrocities committed by any majorities of any nations. All are shit.

We can talk about what England’s kings did, or Egypt’s Pharaohs, or the Aztecs. The US sounds pretty tame in comparison to others.
I’m pretty proud of that.

You'll be proud when billions are paid out of your taxes in reparations?
But perhaps you are another tax evader?

@FrayedBear

Hahaha. Reparations??? I didn’t own a slave. Who do I owe?
I’m of Irish decent. Will you pay me for the young, white, Irish kids sold into slavery in early US history???

@CourtJester When the tax is imposed yes. It was just as wrong as what happened to the American First Nations People.

But will you also pay me compensation for my ancestors dispossession of Dublin city by Brian Boru?

@FrayedBear

No. And anyone that would pay me or anyone else is ignorant at best.

@CourtJester spoken like a true Catholic - "the sins of the father are not mine because I confessed yesterday to the confessor".

And the same has happened in Australia, Canada & New Zealand. Americans are not alone in their culpability.

So what's your point?

@Tejas what's yours.

@FrayedBear you're an idiot, my proof is your previous posts (most of them). Have a counter argument?

@Tejas I don't waste my time arguing with rude stupid * people.

@FrayedBear then you definitely don't argue with yourself

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:666038
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.