Agnostic.com

0 2

LINK A school board member justified bigotry with Jesus. This mom wasn't having it.

You have to hear the speech that a parent delivered at a recent school board meeting in response to one board member’s religious tirade against her daughter.

To make sense of it, you have to understand that Colorado Springs has long been a hotbed for white evangelical Christianity. That brand of bigotry has now crept onto local public school boards. A couple of months ago, in the span of a two weeks, the Freedom From Religion Foundation sent multiple letters to those boards warning them about board members using their positions to foist their personal religious views on students.

In the case of District 49, for example, Board Treasurer Ivy Liu advertises prayer circles before meetings just outside the building where those meetings take place. FFRF attorney Chris Line said those promotions “would be perceived by any reasonable observer as an endorsement of religion.”

But it’s the situation with another board member, Jamilynn D’Avola, that’s relevant here. When she ran for the board in 2021, her campaign website said “one of my top priorities would be to make sure children are assigned to different bathroom based on their biological sex,” a direct attack on trans kids. She also condemned comprehensive sex education, the “LGBTQ+ agenda,” Black Lives Matter, and “social justice.” Just a total moral monster on every level.

Last year, a student in the district wrote a heartfelt letter to D’Avola urging her to reconsider her positions now that she was on the board. The letter ended by saying, “Some students do not receive this information at home and need to learn it at school so that they stay safe and healthy. I know this is a lot, Mrs. D’Avola, but please, at least consider the things I have said. The mental health of the district’s students is potentially on the line.”

A school board member justified bigotry with Jesus. This mom wasn't having it. | Lacy Carroll speaks out against a board member's bigotry
Lacy Carroll speaks out against a board member's bigotry
Reading Time: 5 minutes

You have to hear the speech that a parent delivered at a recent school board meeting in response to one board member’s religious tirade against her daughter.

To make sense of it, you have to understand that Colorado Springs has long been a hotbed for white evangelical Christianity. That brand of bigotry has now crept onto local public school boards. A couple of months ago, in the span of a two weeks, the Freedom From Religion Foundation sent multiple letters to those boards warning them about board members using their positions to foist their personal religious views on students.

In the case of District 49, for example, Board Treasurer Ivy Liu advertises prayer circles before meetings just outside the building where those meetings take place. FFRF attorney Chris Line said those promotions “would be perceived by any reasonable observer as an endorsement of religion.”

But it’s the situation with another board member, Jamilynn D’Avola, that’s relevant here. When she ran for the board in 2021, her campaign website said “one of my top priorities would be to make sure children are assigned to different bathroom based on their biological sex,” a direct attack on trans kids. She also condemned comprehensive sex education, the “LGBTQ+ agenda,” Black Lives Matter, and “social justice.” Just a total moral monster on every level.

Last year, a student in the district wrote a heartfelt letter to D’Avola urging her to reconsider her positions now that she was on the board. The letter ended by saying, “Some students do not receive this information at home and need to learn it at school so that they stay safe and healthy. I know this is a lot, Mrs. D’Avola, but please, at least consider the things I have said. The mental health of the district’s students is potentially on the line.”
Trending Stories

The following is a list of the most commented articles in the last 7 days.

A trending article titled "The reality of people being 'hungry for the Word'" with 48 comments.
Page thumbnail.

The reality of people being 'hungry for the Word'

48 comments

A trending article titled "A sad goodbye: Jen Psaki's final briefing" with 34 comments.
Page thumbnail.

A sad goodbye: Jen Psaki's final briefing

34 comments

A trending article titled "Louisiana Court drops charges against pastor who ignored COVID restrictions" with 148 comments.
Page thumbnail.

Louisiana Court drops charges against pastor who ignore...

148 comments

A trending article titled "GOP Senate candidate admits he wants to block access to birth control" with 251 comments.
Page thumbnail.

GOP Senate candidate admits he wants to block access to...

251 comments

A trending article titled "Idaho Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin: 'Christ will reign' if I'm elected governor" with 237 comments.
Page thumbnail.

(follow link for rest of article.)

snytiger6 9 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:666454