Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK DeSantis signs law banning protests outside private homes

(If people stay on public grounds, the street and sidewalk, they should be within their constitutional rights under "free speech". This is a step towards limiting free speech.)

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill Monday that will make protesting outside of a person's home illegal.

Why it matters: The law comes after some Americans have protested outside the homes of Supreme Court justices following the leak of a draft opinion indicating the court is prepared to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Driving the news: The Florida law bans residential picketing and picketing or protesting before or about a dwelling of a person with specified intent."

snytiger6 9 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

DeSatan wants freedom of speech about as much as Putin does. Florida at this point has more in common with Russia than Massachusetts. Texas is very close behind.

I consider what he did a mixed bag.

I have to admit, if someone trespassed onto our property to protest I would be aggravated. Our property is fenced and posted.

Among other things, we used to have a rescue dog with fear-aggression problems and the appearance of a stranger on his turf might have cost him his life -- as well as created attractive-nuisance liabilities for us.

If people want to stay holed up inside their dwellings because they have to wade through (as long as everyone is peaceful) protesters to leave, it seems to me that everyone is within their rights.

As long as they are not on private property, vandalizing (does not include chalk which washes off with rain), loitering or blockading driveways, it should come under free speech, just like Planned Parenthood protestors.

@Barnie2years
In a Seattle suburb a WA representative used to rent a floor from us. He and his people had to push through the protesters every day to get to work.

Everyone stayed peaceful and nobody raised a fuss and even though they were on our property we didn't care as long as the protesters stayed in the parking lot.

It was mildly comical sometimes to watch the protesters trying to be as dramatic as they could be. And the rep's people trying to play it all down.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:666796
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.