Agnostic.com

9 16

LINK WV school district finally settles case involving Bible indoctrination classes

A West Virginia school district has finally paid up for decades of Christian indoctrination, putting an end to a five-year legal battle waged by a courageous student who faced considerable harassment over her “Bible in the Schools” class.

All of this occurred in the Mercer County Schools, which offered “elective” Bible courses at the elementary and middle school levels for over 75 years. Why put “elective” in quotation marks? Because it was clear that students who didn’t participate in the courses were treated like pariahs and bullied by their peers.

snytiger6 9 May 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Imagine how Christians would feel if there were indoctrination classes on the Koran, Vedas, or the Kojiki. Actually I would be fully in favor of a World Religions course, especially if it excluded Christianity, because we are so steeped in it anyways, in favor of a religion not well known in the US.

There would be screams of outrage about being discriminated against. I do not see the scourge of Christian supremacism being eradicated from the USA in my lifetime.

West Virginia: the state that gave us that fossil-fuel magnate, the Republican Senator who calls himself a Democrat, Mr. Joe Manchin!

He has truly been the fly in the ointment for the Democrats! He and Sinema are awful people!

@Redheadedgammy They're no worse than the rest of their Republican colleagues.

Yeah, that's setting the bar pretty low.

@Flyingsaucesir I actually think they are worse than their Republican colleagues, because they were supposed to be Democrats! I cannot figure those two out. Is it all about money for them? That’s the only thing I can figure.

@Redheadedgammy They're just doing what they need to do to stay in office. The real question is, how do we change the minds of Arizona and West Virginia voters?

@Flyingsaucesir I believe we need to educate those voters, but will it take I don’t know. Decades of propaganda has a negative effect on their brains.

@Redheadedgammy You're right about that. It's an uphill climb.

Good reason to support the FFRF 😉 great outcome!

Already have, it is called Legislation.

@Triphid I support FFRF because they have great lawyers that win a lot of cases. 😉

@Redheadedgammy Maybe IF the United States of Absurdity removed it cranium from its Anus once in a while and observed how things are done in a civilized country like Australia then you would NOT be needing so many Lawyers?

@Triphid You are 100% correct. The levels of stupidity in our Government “leaders” makes the USA a very Absurd Country!!

@Redheadedgammy And, imo, you forgot about the absurdities in some of the populace as well I think, present company excluded of course.

@Triphid Why thank you! 🤗. You are right about a lot of my fellow Americans!!

This had to be done but all it will do is slow them down. This is because they all know "Merica was founded as a Christian Nation." That mean old King would not let them practice their religion so they all came here. Amazing how many people believe this but it keeps on being preached again and again to the faithful.

That is just one of the consequences of being mentally defective.

I hope this starts a trend that spreads like wildfire to all public and private education facilities.

Betty Level 8 May 18, 2022

A smallish victory for those students but a larger sized nail in the coffin for religious educated ( indoctrination imo,) in schools. Kudos upon kudos upon more kudos to those students.

So the Christian supremacists get their wrists slapped? You can bet that they have learned nothing.

I'll take that bet since as the saying goes, Just as you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink, so with a Faithfool can you lead one of them to reason, but can't make them think."

@Triphid What gets me is that the school administrators were pushing a blood god that is a genocidal maniac with catastrophic anger management issues. Is it any wonder that the United $tates of Absurdity has KKKristians killing people of colour?

@anglophone But my Friend have you not learned as yet that, Though Great and Wonderful Sky Daddy in his earlier incarnations was a cruel, belligerent, murderous, insensitive, etc, etc, etc, Superior and Supreme Being all that change when he re-incarnated himself as his son, who was actually himself, and told the peoples "{ Think not that I have come bearing the Garlands of Peace for I have come bearing the Sword and I shall set son against father, father against son, brother against brother,friend against friend until the whole world runs red with blood."
So, as you can see quite clearly Sky addy mellowed a great deal once he became himself as himself and his son in the one.
Confused yet?
If so, do not fret nor feel bad about yourself because that is PRECISELY how the Faithfools are 27/4 and they know no different whereas you and I etc, do.

@Triphid Cheesus Krist man. Anybody would think that you have been reading the Buy Bull! 😉

@anglophone FYI, That IS what one needs to do as a part of the Course and Education should one wish to gain a Doctorate in Theology and Comparative Modern Religions ESPECIALLY IF one is studying said subject and being an ATHEIST as well.
Hence the PH in Triphid when the book and film uses "TRIFFID".
My little acknowledgement of the book and film plus the years of study I put in to gain those degrees.

@Triphid Yes! True!

And the school will be ( a ) 'resentful' that they lost rather than genuinely accepting that they had done wrong and ( b ) they will see 'fault' in the 'vile, anti-christians' to took action.

Did the school offer "elective" classes in the Torah, the Koran or the Book of the Dead? Of course not!

@anglophone I've got a what if...
A college/university course... 'Religions around the World', a study of all religions past and present including sects and cults. An assignment comparing the differences and common elements, ending with two essays. 'How Religions benefit Society and 'How Religions are a detriment to Society."

@Betty "Wanted: One Lecturer to teach the above subject. Sole section criterion: must be able to demonstrate the absurdity of all claims of one or more sky fairies."

@anglophone I nominate you. 😁

No where near enough monetarily. Most schools carry a million in liability insurance for just such shit.

Schools usually carry much more than one million of liability limits. However whatever they carry is in no way an indication of what any particular suit is worth.

Perhaps they were NOT after a monetary award just a thing called JUSTICE, which by the way, is said to be its own reward.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:666955
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.