Agnostic.com

1 4

From Merriam-Webster Dictionary. - - "Karma" - - "The force generated by a person's actions held in Hinduism and Buddhism to perpetuate transmigration and in its ethical consequences to determine the nature of the person's next existence."
I do not buy it.
This is the ultimate let-the-filthy-ruler or crooked-ass-politician (Henry Kissinger for example) who has committed all kinds of atrocities off of the hook doctrine. Christianity shares the same fault, one of a huge number of faults, in that it holds that people will be rewarded or punished in the afterlife. It takes the responsibility away from society for punishing such behavior in the here and now, and sublimates it to some abstract non-existent realm . . . . . and, who exactly do you suppose it serves? . . . ALL of those people who do bad things. As long as you believe that they will be punished in some "future existence", you are a lot less likely to hold them accountable in the here and now . . . . and were exactly does that get them? No surprise that those in power have so much to gain from doctrines like these, and no surprise that they do what they can to perpetuate and support such belief systems.

Archeus_Lore 7 May 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

“Individuals who self-identify as Protestants are somewhat more likely to endorse capital punishment than are Catholics and far more likely than those with no religious preference. More than 7 in 10 Protestants (71%) support the death penalty, while 66% of Catholics support it. Fifty-seven percent of those with no religious preference favor the death penalty for murder.”

[deathpenaltyinfo.org]

skado Level 9 May 20, 2022

To me, it partially matters whether or not there is personal experience relative to such punishment. While I theoretically do not believe in capital punishment, when I learned that a young relative was sexually molested by their father, I was very close to exacting said punishment to the perpetrator myself. That said, I believe their are a whole shitload of societal ills that contribute to people becoming capable of committing crimes for which such punishment is considered.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:667352
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.