Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK Sacramento 'Gas for Guns' buyback program runs out of gift cards in under 1 hour : NPR

When the police department in Sacramento, Calif., held a gun buyback event on Saturday, they didn't just give residents a no-questions-asked chance to turn in their unwanted firearms: They also gave out gift cards for gas.

The Sacramento Police Department said on Facebook that 134 people had dropped off firearms in exchange for $50 gas gift cards. The day's collections included at least one assault weapon, components of privately manufactured "ghost guns" and "multiple other illegally configured firearms," they said.
Thousands Of Guns Turned Over To New Zealand Police In Buyback Program
World
Thousands Of Guns Turned Over To New Zealand Police In Buyback Program

While the gift cards appear to have been an incentive – especially with gas prices climbing across the country – officials said they weren't the only motivating factor.

snytiger6 9 May 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There was some progress made in war against gun violence. That this country isn't full of gun happy idiots. SInce, repubs are telling them it's ok to flaunt guns.

These programs are wildly successful, and get guns out of homes where they are unwanted and improperly stored. Exactly the sort of situation where they get into the wrong hands.

I remember when my father died, we found at least half a dozen guns under his mattress. We didn't really want them, but we also didn't want one of my brothers, who was shall we say is the black sheep of the family, to get them either.

Unwanted guns are a very common problem in the U.S., and there is a need to be able to dispose of them responsibly.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:667829
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.