Agnostic.com

3 1

Yesterday, the Southern Baptist Convention released an exhaustive report on the epidemic of abuse within the denomination and the efforts of the SBC's executive committee to stonewall, shame, and silence survivors.

The horrifying report, drawn up by an independent consulting firm, shows an institution more focused on shielding itself from liability than protecting its most vulnerable members. Church leadership allegedly compiled a secret list of 703 abusive pastors, even as it accused advocates pushing for accountability of having secret agendas, acting as "professional victims," and even doing the work of the devil.

[link.motherjones.com]

I haven't had any involvement with a religious organization since 1975. So, I'm really out of touch with what's going on. But my observations lead me to imagine that a lot of religious leaders are using their position to have sex with children. Am I wrong?

mischl 8 May 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am glad that other Christian churches than the Catholic Church are beginning to be put under the microscope.I always felt it was probably a universal problem amongst all religions. People in positions of power all too often abuse it…not just religious; politicians, corporate leaders…anyone who might be able to direct the actions of others. (Let me state that I am not implying that the Catholic Church should be cut any slack for anything.)

This sort of thing has been going on to my certain knowledge for the last 60 years, and from what I can make out from history it has almost certainly been going on for the last 200 years, and probably as far back as the First Council of Nicaea in 325 CE, nearly 1,700 years ago.

It is called people believing that they can do whatever they want in the name of their particular sky fairy, and they will be forgiven by confessing their sins on Sunday or Saturday depending on their particular religion. Such people are psychopaths and society seems to be at the moment largely powerless to control them. Unless and until society chooses to address the issue of its psychopaths this issue will continue into the foreseeable future.

Potential victims attract predators.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:667857
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.