Agnostic.com

4 10

Positive News

The living coffin that transforms your body into compost

A Dutch startup has created a fully biodegradable mycelium casket – and says the orders are flooding in

Each coffin takes just a week to grow – without heat, electricity or light according to Hendrikx – and then approximately two to three years to decompose along with the person’s body. Groundwater re-activates the mycelium, while the inside of the coffin is filled with a soft bed of moss, which contributes to the composting process.

“When you die, you pollute the Earth,” he said. “Your body contains 219 chemicals, and in nature there is a mushroom that neutralises toxins from the body and soil. So, we thought: ‘Why not invent a living coffin, made from mushrooms, that enables you to no longer pollute the Earth but actually enrich life after death?’”

Read on:
[positive.news]

Ryo1 8 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My arrangements for cremation, and burial with an Ash tree seedling, are already in place but this would have been a swell 2nd place.

What a fascinating idea. I am in agreement with NDGT when it comes to what is done with my body when I die.

“I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

This is awesome. I’ve always wanted to be cremated so I don’t take up space with my remains. This is a cool option!

I'm all for it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:668221
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.