Agnostic.com

6 16

From a friend on Facebook:

I've seen a lot of people share a false equivalency about how we "didn't ban planes after 9/11" and how we just "secured the cockpits" and now we just need to "secure the schools."

After 9/11 we passed the Aviation and Transportation Security Act, which created the TSA, created a list of people who were no longer allowed to fly at all, put heavy restrictions on what can be carried on a plane and forced all passengers to submit to stricter policies for identification and searches of their belongings and persons, including removing clothing and being patted down. And we ALSO secured the cockpits.

In other words, we used our common sense to create a way to keep people safer, even if it did restrict other people's freedoms a little and inconvenience a lot of people.

Also, if your first reaction after 19 children were murdered by an AR-15 is to take up for the AR-15, you might want to take a bit of time for self-reflection.

[govinfo.library.unt.edu].

Gwendolyn2018 9 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Right-wingers always construct those false-eqivalency mottos. It's a skill that compensates for their lack of empathy.

There are no good arguments against trying to reduce America's hideous gun violence problem, so all they come up with is irrelevant BS.

Have you never exchanged pleasantries with the boys in the Pro Guns group? They would insist against your assertions that there are no good, effective laws and arguments in favour of gun control. It’s very much like trying to explain to a Christian that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions. If the need to believe is strong enough, then it really doesn’t matter what the evidence says.

@NostraDumbass You just hear strings of false arguments. Like trying to debate with Truthers or Birthers.We live in an age where people tailor the facts to fit their beliefs.

I've been reading some screeds where the posters continue to advocate Putin's talking points (in the face of dozens of documented civilian atrocities). That seems very similar to the gun advocates who continue to resist regulations approved by 90% of the rest of the citizenry. Like the Putin-stooges, they are intransigent (lacking empathy and critical thinking).

The problem we face is that their world-view is indifferent to new events. They are completely committed to their views, and continue to support the corruption that endorses their position. Thus, half of Congress refuse to do the job they were elected to do. Indeed, they view their mandate to be obstruction and derision of anything from the democrats.

Thus, we have no government, and without a government, we have no country. A civil war is upon us without the benefit of acknowledgment. The sedition that started Jan 6 is ongoing and the United States really doesn't exist anymore. It is a not-so-secret secession.

"If your first reaction after 19 children were murdered by an AR-15 is to take up for the AR-15, you might want to take a bit of time for self-reflection."

YES, THAT! I have copied this sentence and will use it as a reply next time one of my right wing gun nuts post a pro gun comment. Thanks.

Handled one in the Army, no good civilian use

bobwjr Level 10 May 28, 2022

I offer the following as legitimate uses of single-action guns:

• hunting for dinner
  • the euthanizing of critically injured wildlife
  • the control of large pest species (Camels are a real nuisance in the Australian outback.)

I firmly believe is someone wants to handle an automatic weapon they need to enlist in the military. The only purpose of an automatic weapon is to hurt people quickly. No civilian needs that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:668732
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.