Agnostic.com

2 3

Turkey - Yay! πŸ˜†

Seriously, Turkey has officially changed its name as a country. It's really had enough of the jokes.

The country decided to rebrand itself due to the negative connotations its original name often has.

Leaders haven't taken too kindly to the word 'Turkey' being associated with 'a stupid person' or 'failures', as it is defined as in the English dictionary.

In a letter addressed to the UN's Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, the Turkish foreign minister Mevlut Cavusoglu asked that the country be known officially as 'TΓΌrkiye' instead of 'Turkey'.

Cavusoglu wrote: "Together with our Directorate of Communications, we have been successful in preparing a good ground for this."

The Anadolu Agency said Stephane Dujarric, the spokesman for Guterres, confirmed he had received the letter on Wednesday (1 June).

Quoting Dujarric, the agency said the name change - which is pronounced tur-key-YAY - had become effective 'from the moment' the letter was received.

[ladbible.com]

Ryo1 8 June 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A turkey by any other name is still a turkey.

Wow, the name of that country is what I say every Thanksgiving when I get to my mother's house.

"Turkey! Yay!"

I love it, too. It's a Turkish Delight. Lol

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:669538
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.