Agnostic.com

3 17

"What you do in times of crisis reflects your truth." Two years ago.

"I'm an Angry Black Woman. This is What I Want White People to Know," by Candace Howze.

A moving essay. She inspired my protest sign for the George Floyd protest in Wenatchee, WA. Love her conclusion:

"We do not live in separate worlds, although it often feels like we do. We live in the same country with the same news, it’s all a matter of whether you choose to take action.

"If you want this to stop happening and you’re white, this is your fight too.
"This requires your courage and conviction.
"This is your demon to kill.
"What you do in times of crisis reflects your truth."

"Racism exists because white colonists decided hundreds of years ago to dominate a land full of native people who were minding their own business and then to kidnap people from another continent to labor mercilessly without compensation for their economic gain. And every turn of events since, every snippet of progress thereafter, has been twisted to maintain the economic and social hierarchy that existed the day America became America."

LiterateHiker 9 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your bring up very good points in your post.

Sadly the ingrained nature is not easy to get beyond for some people. Even given the opportunity to learn, it is tossed aside. I grew up in NJ but my awareness of this issue was not front and center for me. When I visited WA State in 1973 I was 20 years old, the visit became permanent, as in, "Mom shipped some of my stuff I'm not returning to NJ". One of the first things I noticed was the prejudice against the Native Peoples in the Seattle area. I remember thinking, 'white folk just seem to need to hate on one group or another'.
At 32 I started dating a man I'd met at a bicycle shop. Great guy, fantastic cyclist, good dancer. My roommates at the time were 2 Latino women. One of them says to me one day, "You know he's black?" WTF?!?!
Anyway, long story short the time did come when I needed to inform the family back east. To say it did not go well is an understatement.
It is a 2 way street though, we were in Oakland for about a week to help his sister. She and I were the gofers and made the trips to Home Depot, etc. for the remodel project. Being the only white person I received some pretty ugly looks.
We all need to work together, that's the bottom line. What I don't have is the solution and I really wish I did.

I lived in Vancouver, WA for a couple of years, working as VP of Marketing for The Holland Inc., a restaurant company that owned Burgerville, Beaches and Noodlin' at the time, early new century, we should have met then, now I'm in Floriduh, not a chance. Oh well. You're what I would describe as the perfect woman in my honest opinion. Please take the compliment, knowing that we'll never meet in person. Alas, one can dream and fantasize, right? This is how I looked back then (official pic from Burgerville announcing my hiring)

@Mofo1953

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:669807
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.