Agnostic.com

7 12

I have rarely ever commented on social media, but Republicans are burning my ass right now and I feel compelled to say something. I am a military vet of a foreign war, a gun owner and was a Navy Marksman, but these mass killings are off the charts and something needs to be done. There is absolutely no reason a military style weapon needs to be in the hands of a civilian. (And don't give me the BS that an AR style weapon is not a military weapon - it's close enough) Even the First Amendment has restrictions (try yelling fire in a movie theater and see how far your Constitutional right keeps you from consequences). What is the problem with these damn Republicans putting a few common sense restrictions on the Second Amendment? Restrictions can be reasonable and effective without taking away our Second Amendment rights.

Back in 1969, I took a gun safety course from the NRA. It was informative, non=partisan and had value. I would not attend a NRA course today for any reason. There is no common sense, compassion, or intelligence in that organization today, what-so-ever.

WillF 4 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Two tours nam.. Advisory work central and southern africa... Seen a bit during those years... The nra then and the mind set of most sane americans is not the nra and mindset of a sad majority of americans today.. What we have is a cult of gun worshipping religious fools..... If the majority of these sofa combat dimwits actually saw, heard, and smelled combat we wouldnt be having this never ending conversation we continue to have..... Until we vote these ignorant obstructionist fucking republicans out of office nothing will change

This isn't about guns. It's about fascist Christians having found a way to intimidate the rest of the population without consequences. We can either live with the threat of death every day, everywhere, or take them on.

Glad you are home safe from the USA wars sailor.... Larry Carter Center USN'71'73..... 1959 I took an Isaac Walton League Hunter Safety Course with my idiot brother age 10 to keep him from giggling and playing soldier with 22 rifles at target practice I was 7 years old .... the Uvalde & Buffalo shooter$ both bought military gear age 18 ....zero kids even me have any business with military gear in ANY civilian setting
.... if the Chinese invade USA or the South secedes again children can borrow military gear from their gun nut neighbor arsenal$ to be Northern heroes while the NRA gets even richer selling guns to most countries all over the world as they have since 1946.... Billy Graham preacher prince of WAR died rich over 100 million dollars worth of weapons $tock dividends he plowed back into buying $tock in illegal wars Korea 1946 Vietnam 1959 Palestine 1946 where gawd goes money goes IN gawd WE TRUST....NRA gives money to anti-woman anti-gay anti-science candidates both blueRed and redBlue candidates like Manchin WV and red necks in many states of the duopoly

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that nowadays rational, sane gun owners like you are far outnumbered in the NRA and the Repub Party, so your voice would be drowned out when it comes to policy decisions by either group.

There is hope....Don Maclean got most of his redneck musical colleagues to quit planned killer songs planned for the Houston NRA GALA weekend like insane Lee Greenwood several others .... it took decades banned from Georgia for Ray Charles to defeat segregation ...musicans CAN defeat gun worship and gun trillion dollar global profits.... the problem is polluter war profits subsidized by all 537 incumbents in WDC not just guns privately purchased in USA ....the culture of guns&the xian white gawd murdered aboriginal people every year since 1776 ... Colin Kaepernick took the 1st knee to protest cop guns killing minorities minutes from 49er Stadium.... Buffalo BILLs are selling CHOOSE LOVE shirts .... gunviolence is Amurikkan capitalism ruling most of the planet

@GreenAtheist I'm amazed he got Lee Greenwood to boycott the NRA convention. I have always particularly hated Greenwood's God Bless The USA, which I call the redneck national anthem, and loathe the way that song is worshipped by the rednecks and country music fans around where I live. Same thing with that tall tub of shit, Toby Keith, and all his redneck nationalist warmonger songs.

@TomMcGiverin MacLean kept one foot on Pete Seegers Hudson River ships and one foot marching for American Pie....he once confessed the song & title was about "profits" not peace

@GreenAtheist Not surprising. Toby Keith says he is actually more of a Democratic politically than a Repub, but he's also a capitalist, so he writes songs to please his redneck fans who are pro war and nationalist, as well as racist. All of which confirms my opinion of him as an asshole who only cares about being rich, famous, and popular, rather than having any real ethics or principles guiding him, besides being successful in his career.

It was my time in the US Army many years ago that convinced me that civilians should never have access to any kind of assault weapon. Incidentally, I own bolt action and lever action riles and a shotgun, and I fired at the expert level with the M-1 rifle while in the Army.

“the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Tell that to the parents of the dead children in Uvalde, TX and all the future children who are massacred by weapons designed to kill multitudes of people in rapid order in the future. I am going to go out on a limb here and guess you are anti-abortion. It is this thinking that makes no sense. The fact that you can be pro-life for some children and be complicit to murdering other children that sickens me. And where in the Second Amendment does it state that those weapons we have the right to bear must be of a specific type of weapon. And does the First Amendment give you the right to yell fire in a crowded movie theater? I had a professor in college state to the class that the Constitution is a living document designed to be adjusted for the times. No one is suggesting the Second Amendment be removed and to take away our arms, just to tweak it for the times.

Define "regulated"

@WillF
I would

I too am a foreign war Navy vet and NRA member. Gun makers own the NRA.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:670144
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.