Agnostic.com

23 13

How do you respond to negative comments about your body?

My friend Kathy thinks it's funny to ridicule my body. I have told her it's hurtful, to please stop. But she continues bringing it up. Like I'm an affront.

Last week while walking together:

"You look puny," Kathy said.

"I prefer 'slender' or 'svelte,'" I replied lightly. "Puny implies 'stunted' or 'runt of the litter.'"

"That's what I meant," Kathy said and laughed.

I would never make fun of Kathy (or anyone) for being overweight. Since a child, people have mocked and humiliated me for being "too skinny." The message is I'm not good enough. All women get this toxic crap.

"I hate it when my patients say I'm lucky to be thin," Bill, MD, said. "Like it's an accident. I work out HARD 12++ hours a week, am a vegetarian, and stop eating before I'm full all the time. Two-thirds to 3/4 of my patients are overweight or clinically obese."

Photos:

1. Me a week ago.

2. Bill two weeks ago. Training for a competitive bicycle race.

LiterateHiker 9 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lots of negative comments about my body here- I weighed right around 300 pounds for a good part of my life. Childhood trauma, depression (led me to want to eat all the time- I often said I wish I had the kind that left you with no appetite), stay at home mom with a terrible husband (ex for 20+ yrs now) who told fat jokes that supposedly were not directed at me... when the pandemic started, I started walking then riding my bike, started counting calories, and lost about 75-80 lbs. I'm still bigger than I should be, and I have all the sagging skin to show for the weight loss so I'm still not happy with my body, but I feel 1000 times better. I agree with the others- she doesn't sound like much of a friend.

Photo on the left is 9 years ago.

Congrats!!!

@JonnaBononna

Congratulations!

I hear "Jealous."

Tell Kathy to eat $#!+.

I'm a fat guy but its pretty rare that anyone says anything critical about my appearance. I tend to be more critical of myself than others, though usually in a humorous self-deprecating way. But I don't have any patience with rudeness. It's nobody's damn business how many doughnuts are swimming around inside me.

Kathy is clearly unconcerned about how you feel.
She doesn't sound like much of a friend.

If anyone thinks they have a right to comment negatively on my appearance, I let them know that their opinion means nothing to me.
Sometimes, that conversation ends with me telling them to go fuck themselves.

Something I heard and internalized a long time ago:

The dogs always want to pee on the tallest tree. Stand tall and ignore the barking.

I don't get very many comments about my body, but I do respond if people make fun of anything about my appearance. It's a two word phrase and the second word is "off". 😏

We all know what we look like, and what type of body we have, whether we are underweight, overweight, or average, due to heath challenges, hard work, diet or laziness.

Some of us are born with good genes or medical issues, some of us are surrounded by judgmental people, and some of us are surrounded by people who love us no matter how much we weigh or what our body fat is.

When we are non-judgmental with others, others tend to be non-judgmental with us. That's what I've found anyway. I don't like to be around judgmental people, so I've likely created a bubble around myself. 🙂

Sadly we are very much in a culture that shames people who are not perfect, and we often sometimes shame ourselves... I have a bad habit of joking "I ate too much dessert over the holidays and need to burn off a few of these calories" or some such quip, and then I realize I said it to someone who is also not perfect and they might take offense... That mistake is on me. I get sucked into the "body perfect" syndrome that seems to be pushed by the media. I am not perfect and to me perfection isn't possible and for a perfectionist, that is a problem, haha!

Best advice is to either be happy with our own body types and/or do something about it if we are not happy, and DON'T JUDGE ourselves or others for not being perfect, since perfection is not possible. And DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK OR SAY. The only thing that matters is what you see in the mirror and if you're happy with yourself, then wonderful.... and if we're not happy with ourselves, either do something about it AND/OR be happy with our imperfections and just be a nice person.

Last year, I worked hard and got to my "ideal" weight, and then got really proud of myself so I celebrated and within a week was on my way back to being my "normal" weight" and I'm just now realizing (at 65 years old) that normal is just fine!

When I was sick, 2 years ago, I lost 20 pounds and people said I looked "good" without thinking, but to me I looked sick and my clothes were hanging on me.

Now I'm back to my usual weight - where I don't have to watch what I eat or do any exercise other than my usual routine of swimming, walking and biking. I'm most happy when I'm not focused on what I look like to others.

Since you told her how it makes you feel and she is not taking notice. I would tell her again and if it still goes on you may have to give her some of her own medicine.

You look fine, just the way you are.

I'd just let those comments roll right off of you. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.......

Not something you have to worry about LH! 😉

Ignore. You are what you are. The rest is irrelevant. Make her know and feel irrelevant about this.

Friend seems a loose term here. Personally I do not put up with continued comments after I ask that the person stop.
I have never been lean and my twin called me fat all the time. Identical twins but I popped out first, usually the first born is a little bit bigger. Yeah, about 5 to 10 pounds heavier as we got older, and I'm fat?
Anyway, your "friend" is mean. I have friends that I joke with and we call each other bitch (Beautiful, Intelligent, Talented, Charming, Humorous). One is a republican and since trump lost the election she no longer uses the term of endearment to me and honestly I can't bring myself to use it towards her either after some of the stupid shit she's posted to FB.
That said you're lean and lovely, sorry this person is so mean and inconsiderate. What's seems really nuts is that you have a history of people commenting on your lean body.

I wouldn’t call your friend ‘friend’. She’s just down right mean. Probably jealous.

I get the whole "You're too skinny" thing too. I am a bit too skinny.
BUT as Bill MD said, I'd be overweight if I didn't try to be healthy.

twill Level 7 June 7, 2022

You have nothing to be ashamed of. You're great the way you are. If she can't stop putting you down, you need a new hiking partner. We all need to set boundaries sometimes. it hurt when a woman told me our friendship wasn't serving her. But eventually I got over it and my life is good.

You're perfect

bobwjr Level 10 June 8, 2022

Trading friendly insults between mates is an aussie thing that is often reflective of the strength of the friendship, so I'd respond in kind. (Eg. Well being puny means I don't have to drag an arse like that up this mountain, or, the nearer the bone, the sweeter the meat, or, you too could have a body like this if you gave up on pizza.) Yeah, I know, we're a weird mob 😅

So are Brits. Lol

Kathy is flaunting her own personal insecurity. That is nobody's issue to deal with except herself.

@anglophone

Good point. Thank you.

"Does it make you feel good to put me down?" I will ask the next time.

@LiterateHiker Or ask why she continues to belabor the point when you've told her not to. You may need to reconsider this "friendship". If she isn't supportive of you, do you really need her in your life?

@HippieChick58

Good points.

I will ask why she ignores me after I asked her to stop.

What matters is how comfortable and healthy you feel. Stay away from toxic people.

Ignore and move on.

Me too

I don't believe anyone has ever said anything negative about my body ...

You must certainly be confident that there can be no honest criticism of your body. On the other hand, I have no justification for my imperfections.

The only people that criticize my body are women.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:670353
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.