Agnostic.com

6 10

Imagine you are Jewish, and you have ancestors who died in the Holocaust, and whenever you go to your town square you see statues glorifying Hitler, Goering, and Goebbles. How would that make you feel?
Now imagine you are African-American, and you have ancestors who were slaves, and whenever you go to your town square you see statues glorifying slaveholding generals who fought against your country to maintain slavery. How would that make you feel?

Heraclitus 8 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Angry for sure 😠😠😠

It would make me angry and wanting to destroy or tear down those statues. Frankly, I think black folks in the US have incredible restraint, but it is probably tempered by their fear of white retaliation thru the cops and criminal justice system, after seeing how white mobs and the Klan attacked and murdered them in the past if they got angry and got out of line.

It would be a great reminder for society or what not to do or allow a government to do.

Perfect analogy.

But I am from India. Is there anythin 'bout Gandhi?... the guy with the biggest diaper?

Do you mean the Mahatma Ghandi that supported the oppressive caste system? In the following video link Dr Velu Annamalai referring to historical documents portrays a rather different view of Ghandi.

@ASTRALMAX

Yes, thank you. I am familiar with this guy's speeches on how the caste system developed hundreds of years ago and he is really good. I am not a fan of Gandhi, how he was glorified is a long and different topic. I can go on forever.

I heard a story recently that went something like... A government official got a swath of cloth from Gandhi as a present but believed that it was Ghandi's loin cloth, rather than a cloth that Gandhi made on his own loom.

@St-Sinner @ASTRALMAX
He also slept naked with his niece to test/prove his abstinence. How sick is that? Not only was he pro-caste in India, Gandhi also became angry when he had to share a prison cell with a black prisoner in South Africa.

@TimeOutForMe Not quite the figure as portrayed to the world.

@ASTRALMAX

The image broadcast and promoted domestically and internationally by one family called "Nehru". His political dynasty went on to rule India for the next 5 generations. They filled school textbooks, created public holidays in his name, built statues, parks, highways, universities, libraries in Gandhi's name. Real heroes' legacy was made to bite dust. People with bigger achievements were ignored.

The prime minister and daughter of the first PM Nehru called Indira from 1960s to 1984 (her assasiniation) had her married name as Gandhi (no relation to big Gandhi) wanted her Gandhi name to resound and she to benefit from. It worked. Most people in and outside India even today do not know today that the current head of opposition and Italian daughter in law of Indira called Sonia has "no relation to Mahatma Gandhi". But the trick is almost the whole world thinks she is related to Gandhi.

Did you know Sonia Gandhi has nothing to with Mahatma Gandhi?

@ASTRALMAX, @TimeOutForMe

On his nieces... Not just one niece but two. Find their pics with him on the internet. He also asked them to give enema every day. Did you know his all 4 sons hated the father and wrote books about it? His every shit was glorified. Talk about creating heroes from non heroes. I disliked the guy since high school days.

@racocn8

About login cloth etc. There are tons of controversies. You will find plenty to read.

@St-Sinner yes, we know there's no relations with Indira and Gandhi. All made-up!

@St-Sinner He was also anti other Indian language groups and was anti dark skinned Indians, the actual indigenous Indians. He was a racist!

When I went to my sister's wedding in Georgia, she took me to a restaurant for lunch. A huge Confederate flag covered one wall in the dining room.

"Does the Confederate flag appall you like it does me?" I asked our black waiter.

"The Confederate flag is a symbol of slavery, plain and simple," he replied.

Well said.

It is certainly a reminder of slavery to me as well

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:670541
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.