Agnostic.com

1 3

LINK Joshua Knobe - What is Intentionality?

States Of America is a moralizing place. One of the moral "Do as I say not as I allow in my name." It's a pathetic morality but there you go.

rainmanjr 8 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So our sense of morality can affect or perceptions of intentionality. Interesting. I will try to remember that next time I have jury duty. 😂

I wouldn't show up since we can't be legally compelled to do it (according to our likely new masters).

@rainmanjr You should. We need good people there.

@Flyingsaucesir I'm the last person on Earth qualified to judge anyone.

@rainmanjr You don't judge the person, you judge their acts, and decide if they were inside or outside of the law.

@Flyingsaucesir geometry dash No one is more unqualified than me to pass judgment on anyone.

@Flyingsaucesir Certainly I can speak to the legality of an act (and would if called and selected for a jury) but all acts are both good and bad. A Jurist is called to address only one side of the act. I also agree that any law is intended to maintain the health of society so proper to consider. Imbalance needs an opposing force. But, having committed offenses of my own, makes it improper to judge the person. That being said, I do feel disgust for situations which continue to degrade, rather than attempt to improve, societal health. In the bigger picture, however, the action being judged has no effect on Tao so it seems we are talking about personal comfort of an illusory act.

@rainmanjr It's not that complicated. You just do your civic duty and, as you so eloquently put it, help "maintain the health of society." Is it a perfect system? No. But it's the one we've got.

@Flyingsaucesir It's often been noted (even by me) that our system for finding "Justice" is simply the best one yet devised. No system will be perfect (which is the argument against Capital Punishment).

@rainmanjr Similar to what Churchill said about democracy: its a terrible form of government, but it's better than anything else out there.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:670753
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.