Agnostic.com

3 9

Funny how prophetic Margaret Atwood was in not only writing The Handmaid's Tale, but in her assessment of the USA made in 2003.

This: "You’re gutting the Constitution. Already your home can be entered without your knowledge or permission, you can be snatched away and incarcerated without cause, your mail can be spied on, your private records searched. Why isn’t this a recipe for widespread business theft, political intimidation and fraud? I know you’ve been told that all this is for your own safety and protection, but think about it for a minute. Anyway, when did you get so scared? You didn’t used to be easily frightened."

And this: "You’re torching the American economy. How soon before the answer to that will be not to produce anything yourselves but to grab stuff other people produce, at gunboat-diplomacy prices? Is the world going to consist of a few mega-rich King Midases, with the rest being serfs, both inside and outside your country? Will the biggest business sector in the United States be the prison system? Let’s hope not."

Sigh.

[thenation.com]

Gwendolyn2018 9 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sounds like she nailed it.

Margaret Atwood is a national treasure in Canada, a wonderful writer but a monotonous public speaker but still worth listening to on The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation where we used to find her quite often before they started working hand in glove with NPR, we get a lot of native drumming now.

@Gwendolyn2018 She's required reading in Canadian High School English Courses, so I have read a lot of her work for my education but several of her other works for pure pleasure. The Blind Assassin won her the Booker Prize but there should be a lot of her work online or at the library.

She is an awesome writer, and sadly looks like she was prophetic as well. Scary times we live in.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:670774
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.