Agnostic.com

1 5

Here's a story that many familiar with small towns may be able to relate to. I was in a small town in Nebraska. Well small town but big town for Nebraska...North Platte, around 38,000 people maybe. It's like the 4th largest town in Nebraska. Anyway I need a haircut. A buzz, a number 1 all over. Very simple, very fast, in and out. I checked at the local wally world where they have a hair salon and nothing available. Barber is just across the parking lot so I go there. Sorry, I'm all booked he says as he sits in his chair doing nothing. Try next door. I go next door to the woman's salon. No dice, woman that cuts men's hair is on vacation for the next month and a half. I leave cussing under my breath about not being able to get a damn haircut. Barber shop door swings open and he says, Hey, just had a cancellation, I can cut your hair now. Great, so I go in, sit down, small talk. I grew up in this small town but haven't lived there since I was a teenager. I tell him a #1 all over. He says #1 what, Wahl, etc? Shows me his guards and I point to the shortest one. The haircut begins. He says there are very few barbers in town. They can't get any new ones cause nobody wants to come here and cut hair. I can't imagine why. I recall the barber that I went to as a kid there. He would charge $5 and give a kid back a quarter and say that's for a soda. Soda machine was 50 cents. He had pictures of leave it to beaver haircuts in his shop. He'd ask if you'd want your hair styled. I made the mistake of saying yes once. I looked straight out of the 50's, it was the early 80's. Anyway back to the story. He finishes and does a fine job. I pull out my debit card and he looks at me and says cash or check? I rarely carry cash. I ask him if there is an ATM nearby. He says, yes at wally world, I trust you he says. Good thing cause he's going to have to if he wants paid. I walk over to the ATM and come back and tip him well. Haircut in a small town.

FvckY0u 8 June 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Small towns in Nebraska sure have very trusting and generous folks. Many years ago, on my way to a family reunion at another small town (Merna, NE) we drove through North Platte, where our car started having problems, but we continued on to Broken Bow, where our minivan finally broke down and needed repair, so we went to a local garage, not knowing anything about the business. Garage owner saw our Washington State license plate and asked what we were doing in town. I said family reunion. Oh! he said, you must be part of the 🎮 family! No charge to fix your vehicle. Wow! Everywhere we went, everyone had heard of our family reunion, haha! Everyone was so generous to us, and a very different experience from my big city life in Seattle!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:671040
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.