Agnostic.com

6 6

Wow, how visionary!

This 103 years old comic about what would happen if "pocket telephones" would be invented.

W. K. Haselden’s ‘The Pocket Telephone: When Will it Ring?’ was first published in The Mirror on March 1919 (Courtesy, Historic Photographs)

Ryo1 8 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Unfortunately it is even worse that predicted. Too bad a pocket phone, radio, television (which was unimaginable back then), encyclopedia and on and on could not even be dreamed of back then.

I've had a cell phone for a long time. I usually keep it off. I take calls when I want to, otherwise, voice mail is just fine.

My phone has been on silent for years. 😅

Kynlei Level 8 June 13, 2022

Prophetic

bobwjr Level 10 June 12, 2022

Thank goodness for the "silence" option! I now have to begin my large weddings with "for those of you with mobile devices, please silence them before we begin."

Still, for all the "inconvenient" times a phone might ring, we are lucky in that we don't have to answer it and the caller can leave a message. I'm happy not to be confined to corded receiver attached to a wall phone.

Wow, that is visionary 103 years ago. It never occurred to me even 50 years ago that I would ever have a phone in my pocket, let alone a video phone, camera, photo album, map, encyclopedia, phone books and restaurant menus for every city, etc., all in my pocket. Life is good!

That's actually pretty accurate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:671289
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.