Agnostic.com

6 3

LINK DeSantis Is 'Very Dangerous Individual' Without Trump's Drama: Expert

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis could be the GOP's natural successor to former President Donald Trump as a 2024 presidential candidate, and he doesn't come with Trump's drama, an expert on authoritarianism told Insider.

Ruth Ben-Ghiat is a historian at New York University, and the author of the book, "Strongmen: Mussolini to the Present." She has studied the backsliding of democracy, from the US to Russia, and elsewhere.

In a wide-ranging interview, she told Insider that in light of the January 6 hearings, Trump might have to be prosecuted in order to save American democracy ahead of the 2024 election. In that context, she said that DeSantis could take his place as a populist nominee.

snytiger6 9 June 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I already knew Trump would have be prosecuted and put in jail to save this country. That way we fix his fuck ups and silence his morons.

I keep waiting for something to happen, but then I hear that no one has the ability to do anything. We are fucked. Someone should get off their duff and do something to bring this to a head or we will have the orange wonder again for the rest of eternity.

He’d damn sure do worlds better than the clown currently in office.

If by better you mean obliterating freedom, truth, justice and equality. You know, democracy.

@NostraDumbass Because there is no freedom, truth, justice, or equality in Florida right now?

@NostraDumbass
You people simply want a government that tells you what to do so you don’t have to think for yourselves. It’s collective laziness.

@BD66 Doesn’t sound to me like you read any of the linked articles, especially the interview with Ben-Ghiat. The takeaway should be that DeSantis, like Trump, is an autocratic demagogue. Democracies can die suddenly and dramatically when someone like that gains power, but more probably will wither away in stages in a place like Florida/America.

@CourtJester One of the reasons I enjoy reading your posts so much is that they’re just so damn (unintentionally) funny. For instance, nothing could be lazier than surrendering your will and loyalty to a cult leader like Trump and slavishly, mindlessly following him wherever he goes. So that you don’t have to think for yourself. The Dear Leader will happily do that for you, and in the end you are reduced to the status of a ventriloquist dummy.

@NostraDumbass
Lazy (and ignorant) is falling for the democrat agenda which leads to more wars, highest fuel prices in American history, highest inflation in 40+ years, highest illegal imitation in US history, a president that has given Putin the highest oil revenues and profits in Russian history, and believing that everything is just fine simply because someone on TV told you that someone made mean tweets. That’s bordering on mental retardation.

@CourtJester Well, you pretty much just confirmed my Ventriloquist Dummy hypothesis. Yours lips are moving, but Fux News is speaking.

P.S. What’s “illegal imitation”? Is that like copyright infringement? But seriously, with language skills like that, you should be writing speeches for your hero, Gomer Trump.

Musk likes him. Sorry I bought Tesla stock.

If they win the presidency in 2024, any prosecutions coming out of the work of the Jan 6th committee will be immediately pardoned. You can count on that.

Are there any Republicans who are not considered to be "Very Dangerous"?

BD66 Level 8 June 16, 2022

Not to me!

Adam Kinzinger, & he is leaving the House of representatives.

Liz Cheney, lately?

@AnneWimsey
She identifies as a Republican because her state would vote her out as a democrat, but she’s a democrat.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:672006
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.