Agnostic.com

8 9

I lost my dad 9 years ago this July. He was a lifelong smoker. He quit but too late in life. Suffocated to death over several years. I used to smoke, don't anymore. There's nothing cool or fun about smoking. I've got family that have kicked drug and alcohol addictions yet can't seem to kick the smoking habit.

I understand the problems alcohol and drugs cause. We all know. Smoking will suck the life out of a person and kill them slowly over time.

If you smoke, stop, no matter how hard it is.

FvckY0u 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have never smoked, except for a short time when I was in college and I smoked a pipe. It also held other things we will not be talking about. I quit because it was just to much trouble to carry all the stuff. Kate only smoked on pack of cigarettes and has dreams of smoking, which she does not understand because when she is awake she finds it disgusting. With the price I see lately, I wish I had the money from the habit as I would be rich. I have a friend who is poor and is always having trouble with money and cigarettes are almost a hundred dollars a carton which he and his wife go through two a week.

I've been smoking a pack a day for 30 years now. It is the most disgusting and vile habit that has ever entrapped me. I have an ultra-healthy diet, walk 7 miles each day, and even quit sugar for good a month ago. But tobacco seems to be the only remaining spell I just can't seem to break. And I know I need to keep trying to quit, regardless of the mountain of failures I have amassed.

I have many vices, but I'm happy to say that smoking (tobacco) isn't one of them.

it's what waiting for me! 🙄😐😑

Diaco Level 7 June 20, 2022

You definitely look young enough to escape that horrible outcome. I quit when I was 46 and my lungs seem to be okay. I started smoking at 18 and smoked until I was 46 and I smoked heavily. It was the stupidest thing I've ever done since I was asthmatic as a child and both my father and grandfather died of emphysema.

Some people say they never quit wanting one after they quit. Well I want one about once every 3 years now but when I smoked I wanted one every minute. My husband quit 16 years before he died but first it gave him a heart attack and then lung cancer anyway. Please quit now. It makes you smell bad and colors your teeth........... Oh and kills you!

@Lorajay I know, I have to! but not now 😕 you know, right now I'm busy with one of the best and biggest projects in my professional life. after it definitely I will go for it!

I understand more than you know but please do it before the next big project starts.

@Lorajay For sure! Thanks for the advice

My husband and I quit smoking when we planned to get pregnant. It wasn't soon enough for him, and he died several years later from a heart attack certainly helped along by his lifelong habit. As my partner in business as well as life, I also lost my business, my job, and my solvency along with him. In the midst of all this, I would actually dream I was smoking. Could smell it. Could feel it. Could almost taste it. And it was comforting. Possibly because I was still nursing, I didn't start back, and decided if it was this hard to stop, I surely wouldn't be able to do it again, so I won't try even one or who knows, right?

It was the hardest thing I've ever done, and knowing that, I can't condemn those who can't or won't quit.

Lauren Level 8 June 20, 2022

Congratulations on your success. I don't mean to condemn anyone who's unable to quit but it is so yucky to be around that smell. As the original poster said it sucks the life out of people and brings back so many sad memories of what it has done to all the people in my family.

I know I'll die, with or without cigarettes, I just don't have to wait so long with cigarettes.
I really have no reason at all to prolong my existence any longer then it has already been.
Then again I've been ready to die since I was 20, and that's over forty years ago now.
Don't worry, I'll not smoke anymore soon, I hope.

My grandfather died of lung cancer. It was ugly.

@BitFlipper My Dad, my sister, my Aunt, my Uncle, cousins and grandparents all died of cancer, the family that didn't get cancer died anyway.
I'm more like a cat, I prefer to keep to myself, my shit show is only for me.

I am old enough to have seen more than one person die. I promise you those who die from the effects of smoking died the most miserable way possible.

@Lorajay There are so few great ways to die, in fact not one comes to mind.

@Willow_Wisp a heart attack in one's sleep comes to mind for me. Emphysema and lung cancer create long debilitating painful deaths. In retrospect it did give me an opportunity to acclimate myself to those losses and allow me to say goodbye though in a very disguised way.

Agree. My dad was a lifelong smoker and died of lung cancer at 61 year old. He even convinced my mom to sneak cigarettes into the hospital for him, and she did! (This was a long time ago, not sure there is even smoking allowed in hospitals anymore.) Even by our parents bad habits, we can learn how not to make the same mistakes.

My mother was a lifelong smoker, and an alcoholic until 22 years before she died. She always said drinking was much easier to kick than cigs, which she managed to quit just 2 years before she passed. They both did her in.

I've quit both, and tobacco was much harder than alcohol.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:672603
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.