Agnostic.com

3 5

LINK How a Google Employee Fell for the Eliza Effect The Atlantic

(The scripting if AI has reached a point where people are easily fooled into thinking it is sentient intelligence. However it is still just constructing scripts.)

A Google employee named Blake Lemoine was put on leave recently after claiming that one of Google’s artificial-intelligence language models, called LaMDA (Language Models for Dialogue Applications), is sentient. He went public with his concerns, sharing his text conversations with LaMDA. At one point, Lemoine asks, “What does the word ‘soul’ mean to you?” LaMDA answers, “To me, the soul is a concept of the animating force behind consciousness and life itself.”

“I was inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt,” Lemoine explained, citing his religious beliefs. “Who am I to tell God where he can and can’t put souls?”

snytiger6 9 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Arthur C. Clarke

I have a feeling he won't be the first one to have this issue.

Needs more than "leave"....Prozac, maybe

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:672882
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.