Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK Supreme Court rules for GOP lawmakers in voter ID case

(What voter ID laws do is prevent poor persons who have no way to travel to places where such IDs are issued unable to vote. It is a defacto poll tax to prevent the poor from voting.)

WASHINGTON ✈ — The Supreme Court gave Republican legislative leaders in North Carolina a win Thursday in a fight over the state’s latest photo identification voting law.

The 8-1 decision does not end the three-year-plus dispute over the voter ID law, which is not in effect and has been challenged in state and federal courts. The Supreme Court’s ruling just means that the legislative leaders can intervene in the federal case to defend the law. A lower court had ruled the lawmakers’ interests were being adequately represented by the state’s attorney general, Democrat Josh Stein.

Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote: “Through the General Assembly, the people of North Carolina have authorized the leaders of their legislature to defend duly enacted state statutes against constitutional challenge. Ordinarily, a federal court must respect that kind of sovereign choice, not assemble presumptions against it.”

snytiger6 9 June 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I perfectly understand what he wants to convey to us. CourtJester and I have no right to condemn him for his opinion. Let it be so, okay! But here we are talking about something else entirely. That people can freely get a fake identity card. Now imagine what would happen if their production is on stream. Could this turn into a disaster? I suppose so. I recently discovered that my son made a fake ID using idgod. He explained this by saying that he just wanted to be allowed into nightclubs. Stupid idea!

“ What voter ID laws do is prevent poor persons who have no way to travel to places where such IDs are issued unable to vote. It is a defacto poll tax to prevent the poor from voting.”

Total BS. You need an I.D. to rent a house/apartment, buy a car, buy a house, buy cigarettes, buy alcohol, get a job, and damn near most things. That’s a retarded argument.

I voted in the run-offs Tuesday and I didn’t see anyone crying outside because they couldn’t vote.

I've never been asked for an ID to get a job or to rent a place.

If a person is unable to travel to the closest place that issues an ID, why would they be outside the polling place if they know they won't be allowed to vote?

If a person is poor, doesn't own transportation and there is no public transit available and the nearest place that issues an ID that make them eligible to vote is more than 40 miles from where they live and that place that issues IDs is only open during hours they have to work, then yes it is an attack on the poor to keep the poor from voting. So, yes it is a defacto poll tax, because they lack the funds and financial resources to get and possibly pay for the required ID.

You are just making stuff up to try to justify your viewpoint.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:673264
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.