Agnostic.com

8 1

"You don't have to die to go to the Kingdom of God. It may be too late."

• Thich Nhat Hanh

[agnostic.com]

#god
skado 9 June 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you fuck your self out off going to be within the so called kingdom of god(s) that is a problem you have created for your self!!!

In other words if you buy into mass hysteria you are just as insane demented and delusional that your so called god(s) has left you behind, that your thoughts and prayers were never answered in the first place!!!

Luckily mental illness is not a crime even if it exists for a overtly intangible imaginary beings!!!

Why do you post links to other postings?

So people will see them. Otherwise they go unnoticed if I post to the group. And it’s a way of advertising the group. I usually get one new member each time I do it.

“We are doing peace; we are not demanding peace.” ❤️💜🖤

To me these people and their discussions do no good to humanity, and in fact is it is useless to people. The world does not need the mindfulness and deep philosophy discussions. The world is suffering from hunger, disease, violence every single day much of it comes from faith. They want to look thoughtful and revered but to me, they are useless to me and should be so to the world. The fact how much gold and wealth the places of worship accumulate and then preach people about help and good to people while the world suffers is proof of how much anything they talk and anything they do is bullshit.

Maybe thoughtlessness and shallow talk is all we need.

@skado

Why not be just a good human being and do good things instead of doing big words, and convoluted discussions?

@St-Sinner
Those aren’t mutually exclusive. Why not happily contribute what you have and happily allow others to contribute what they have?
We are not all the same.

@skad

Everybody will do what they want irrespective of what I say, just like people believe in Noah's arc and other bs in 2022. I am just giving my perspective.

@St-Sinner
Your perspective is welcome. That’s why I make these posts - to generate dialogue.

What I hope you understand is… I’m not promoting belief in things that aren’t real, or any kind of bs.

People in all fields are capable of honesty/dishonesty, competence/incompetence, generosity/selfishness.

There are genuine and fake plumbers, dentists, scientists, clergy, teachers, merchants, politicians, artists, and auto mechanics.

The universe is cold, chaotic, and indifferent to human suffering. There is no benevolent master watching over us. Nor are there any super-talented humans who can make everything right for everyone. Some types of suffering are going to be unavoidable.

There is one type of suffering that is not unavoidable - that which we unconsciously create for ourselves. But since we do it unconsciously, we don’t know how to stop.

Genuine religious teachers are are those who help people learn how to stop creating suffering for themselves. This won’t make the world’s unavoidable suffering go away, any more than the most honest auto mechanic can make the world’s suffering go away. But it is a positive contribution toward reducing the pain and dysfunction in the world we all have to live in.

The two men in this video have not lived gold-encrusted lives. They have not only been good humans and done good things, they have helped thousands of others learn how to stop creating suffering in the world, while they themselves have lived near material poverty. They are among the best examples of human honesty, competence, and generosity this world has to offer.

@skado

1. Material poverty? Thich Nhat Hanh's net worth was $1.7 million. David Steindl-Rast is worth somewhere between $1 and $10 million. Even if it's not used for anything other than a safety net, that alone is one of the biggest stressors and sources of suffering they couldn't experience. Not only that, but it also means that they took these millions of dollars, and all the money they spent throughout their lives, from the people they claim to have been helping. I'm calling bullshit on your 'best examples' claim. Next you're going to tell me Mother Teresa wasn't an evil, greedy cuntbag.

[wepublishnews.com]

[buzzlearn.com]

1. You're whole avoidable suffering nonsense is one giant catch-22 and senseless. If it arises from your subconscious then it's unavoidable. Problem is, EVERYTHING arises from your subconscious, so it's always all unavoidable.

@ChestRockfield

So so right!

@ChestRockfield
Yeah, I remember when a million bucks was a lot of money. I used the phrase “ lived near material poverty” very deliberately, not to mean trapped in a destitute life, but that they engaged the material life very modestly - no gold toilets, no lavish lifestyles… that I know of. The fact that they had a middle class income is not surprising. They earned it. And who is anyone supposed to get their money from other than from those they help? Sounds fair to me. Hahn wrote a lot of books. Why shouldn’t he receive the proceeds of his labor?

I was never the least bit fond of Mom Teresa. I was never impressed by anything she said, and I’ve heard all the rotten stuff about her, and figure it’s probably true. It’s just as silly, to me, to think all people of a given profession are heroes, as it is to think they’re all villains.

If you’re unable to read Steindl-Rast because of a prejudice against his profession, then you are in no better position judge him than the person who thinks everyone in that profession are saints.

It’s easy to make blanket negative statements about a class of people, but it rarely reflects reality. People are individuals, and these two guys stand out as some of the most thoughtful and down to earth in their business.

As for the unconscious stuff… you seem to be saying people can’t learn to be more aware of their motivations, and change their behavior.

There were lots of things I felt compelled to do as a teenager and didn’t know why, but now understand where some of those impulses come from, so I can consciously choose whether to do them or not, and I bet the same is true of you and most people.

People can learn that stuff by trial and error, or they can make a more structured study of it, but yes, as Carl Jung understood very well, material from the unconscious can be brought into conscious awareness, with the result of reduced psychological suffering.

I didn't watch it because I'm not worried about or concerned with the Kingdom of God. The reason is because I am not trying to please any gods and I 'm living for myself. It is different with my daughters. They both believe that the god of the bible wakes them up every morning.

This is not about any of that, and I already know you aren’t interested in that, thanks. Neither am I.

If I can just spout my bullshit in a different way, maybe they won't reasize it's bullshit.

May be. Go for it.

Love it? Don't know how many people will even watch it; it is, after all, a video link from an apologist. That's like trusting a tax plan from a Republican or gun control legislation written by a lobbyist for the NRA. 😆

What do you mean by apologist, and who are you referring to?

@skado Don't clutch those pearls too hard, you'll break them.

@ChestRockfield
Not sure what you mean, but the questions still stand. Are you saying I’m an apologist, or Thich Nhat Hanh?

@skado He might be, don't know, and no interest in finding out. You clearly are.

@ChestRockfield
My dictionary gives more than one definition for that word.
In what way do you mean it?

"the renunciation of self is its own reward, that it is itself the Kingdom of Heaven " H. G. Wells

Write Comment More
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:673334
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.