Agnostic.com

6 6

Forecast: Rain

My better judgment cautions me that this is too simple to be the whole picture, but it still rings true as a ballpark estimate.

Our animal instincts evolved over millions of years to give us a framework of fearful, authoritarian tribalism, with a dollop of rationality and a pinch of altruism added as afterthoughts.

So what we are is a conservative species with liberal flights of fancy, from which we are drawn back to earth as regularly as river water that harbored cloud aspirations.

skado 9 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We fall like rain on a sempiternal sea.

What is considered liberal in this country, is centrist in many European countries, especially the Scandinavian countries. We are a backward, hillbilly country full of too many greedy people, too many intellectually lazy people, and way too many really stupid people.

What we are, is in need of good fair and well planned education, so that every child/person gets a good understanding of the world in which they live, and how to live responsibly in it.

Is it likely to happen any time soon ? Well not seemingly in the USA at least it isn't.

perhaps that is because we trust our ambitious ideas, we neglect the maintenance they require in spite of knowing the advantage always gets it's way when no one is looking.

It's poetic if nothing else.
This is the planet of the apes, some apes are gorillas the "Alpha Male" warriors and heads of state, then there's the pompous orange Orangutan politicians clergy and administrators, then there's the Chimpanzee Scientist.
I'm of the Chimpanzee Scientist variety.
My disposition in actual evolution would be better explained if I also descended from the pygmy Chimpanzee or bonobo, they are like the Amazons to the Chimpanzee Trojans. Chimpanzees are tribal and paternalistic in their social order. Bonobo however are matriarchal, and where two tribes of Chimpanzees settle their territorial disputes with violence, the Bonobo are far more likely to have an orgy.
We my friend are rare, and need to keep company to anchor us in a world of vicious apes that threaten a lot but tend to do terrible things to each other from time to time.

I'm forecasting sunlight, as it appears a small sliver of reality is seeing the light of day, so to speak.

The evolutionary process is both a wonder and a mystery, beneficial at times and a hindrance at others. We are all products of the evolutionary process, and the show keeps going on. Just think how the tribalist mentality has evolved over the ages, and the numerous tribal identities that were established afterwards.

Conservative as a species, in the sense that human beings can be rigid and unreasonable and set in their ways, insisting that everyone else must join them (either you are with me or against me mentality). Liberal part as in moments of logic and reasoning, possibly accompanying desire to get past the tribalist mentality as well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:674065
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.