Agnostic.com

6 12

LINK Religion belongs on public life, Florida tells teachers - The Washington Post

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — New civics training for Florida public school teachers comes with a dose of Christian dogma, some teachers say, and they worry that it also sanitizes history and promotes inaccuracies.

Included in the training is the statement that it is a “misconception” that “the Founders desired strict separation of church and state.”

Other materials included fragments of statements that were “cherry-picked” to present a more conservative view of American history, some attendees said. In a possible effort to inoculate some Founding Fathers against contemporary political complaints, some slides in a presentation pointed out that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson repudiated slavery; unsaid is that both men held enslaved people and helped worked toward a Constitution that enshrined the practice...

snytiger6 9 July 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Without a "true" understanding of our history we will not be able to avoid similar mistakes.

Betty Level 8 July 3, 2022

Many used to cherry pick the bible. That practice still goes on. Now they want to cherry pick our history. I highly recommend the book "Lies My Teacher Told Me" by James W. Loewen.

How about the religions of Satanism, Hinduism, Voodoo, Islam and the Dreamtime?

Why are there so many black people with a last name of "Jefferson" or "Washington?"

Possibly adopted names after the Freeing of the Slaves in the American Civil War perhaps.

@Triphid Slaves were given the names of the masters because they were property.
Through genetic testing some people descended from slaves are finally able to at least learn some general idea of the region and tribe within Africa they are from.

@BufftonBeotch In case you were unaware I do know quite a bit about the Slaves and Slavery in the U.S. fyi..
I may well be from Australia, born bred and raised BUT we do have a VERY comprehensive Education system here.

@Triphid Undoubtedly much better than the one in the USA.

….and they keep winning. 🤬

All religions throughout human history ALWAYS believed they were on a Winning Streak BUT where are hey all now, decaying away on some long forgotten rubbish pile and the days will come when the same happens to all other religions, including the 3 Abrahamic ones as well.

@Triphid
.....and yet they keep winning.

@Sierra4 …and losing.

@yvilletom And, so it seems, they are losing at quite a regular rate given the latest Census and Poll results.

@Triphid Post those results and their source here and reason from them.

@yvilletom Sorry but I SEEM to get the impression that you may have lost the usage of your fingers all of a sudden OR the connections twixt brain, eyes, etc, has been severed, either temporarily or permanently.
If that be so, then my I remind you the we ARE using an invention known as the W.W.W. ( World Wide Web) and you can ACTUALLY research such things for yourself RATHER than expecting to be hand-fed some self-styled, self-appointed "lord and Master from the Feudal times of Old England.
Just out sheer curiosity here, does your wife/partner or what ever actually hand feed you as well per chance?

@Triphid Bye.

Fuck that noise

Too bad that won't make it go away.

@Betty The Greatest Nemesis of Religion is Knowledge.

@Triphid Not in a country that acknowledge "alternative facts".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:674921
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.