Agnostic.com

5 5

Mick Wallace, Member of the European Parliament

rogerbenham 8 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love the way he tears up the whole myth that the US is " No. 1" in any good kind of way.... I so hate that rah-rah, mindless fake American patriotism of chanting " We're number one!" endlessly, without ever looking critically at ALL the negative things America leads in...

I like the way he doesn't dress like a member of the ruling class and instead more like one of us peasants, gives him extra credibility to me. I like this guy even more than Bernie. He tells the simple truth, but even more powerfully. I bet they are afraid of him over there. Instead of wearing the suit like Bernie, he just lets his words speak for him and they have to take him seriously because of his words. He makes me proud to be Irish American, and I share his healthy sense of anger.. He dresses more like Roger Waters of Pink Floyd than like an MP, wonderful...

Agreed. I do not understand why the rulers all around the world are dressing in black suits where only a top tailor could tell who is wearing the best cloth. It seems to be the uniform of power. Maybe they distinguish by their frigging ties. But I still like Bernie, even though I'm further left than him.
I'll admit that when I met Waters in '66 at my university, most of the time I was wearing a jacket and tie, albeit as much covered with flowers as I could find! To my shame, Iwas wearing a Union Jack when I met him, but more as colour than loyalty. Thank God the only time I had to swear allegiance to the crown was when I became a Canadian citizen.
My mother was a Dublin girl.

@rogerbenham I agree that American pols, at least the men, all wear suits because it is the uniform of power. Glad this guy rejects it. I dress casual all the time and feel no need to dress fashionably upscale, because I do not identify with upper middle class people and want to make that clear in my clothing, rather than risk being lumped in with them on appearance. My one suit is for funerals and weddings, that's it. I'm not interested in impressing most people. Like you, I am probably to the left of Bernie, but in America, that doesn't really matter much, because we are never going to get anyone to the left of him as a leader, at least not in my lifetime.

@TomMcGiverin I guess what interests me is that "top" people around the world are gradually all dressing the same. The men in black that Diana Spencer talked about, except hers were secret service. The Arabs have mostly resisted as so far many Africans have.
I emigrated to Canada from England in 1974 and very quickly discarded wearing ties and then suits.

@rogerbenham I'm not surprised most of them are starting to dress the same. Why not? They have plenty of practice trading fashion notes with their regular meetings at the Davos summits, etc.

@TomMcGiverin But equally it means that each of them does not want to stand out. I can't imagine Branson dressing like that. Even Monk usually I see tie-less. Uniforms we had at school so we did not appear wealthier than one another. So it implies that they recognise reaching a status and being required to wear the uniform. Once I was a top consulting engineer but I avoided suits.

@rogerbenham That could well be it too.

Unfortunately, a lot of truth. I disagree in that we can afford a national healthcare but we chose not to.

His "can't afford to" list are criticisms of those choices.

…..an MEP from…Ireland. One of 13 Irish MEPs - he has represented Ireland South constituency since July 2019.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:675086
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.