Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK How vaccine foes co-opted the slogan 'my body, my choice' : Shots - Health News : NPR

(The irony is that almost all anti-vaxers are also anti-abortion.)

In the shadow of L.A.'s art deco City Hall, musicians jammed onstage, kids got their faces painted, and families picnicked on lawn chairs. Amid the festivity, people waved flags, sported T-shirts and sold buttons — all emblazoned with a familiar slogan: "My Body, My Choice."

This wasn't an abortion rights rally. It wasn't a protest against the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that gutted Roe v. Wade. It was the "Defeat the Mandates Rally," a jubilant gathering of anti-vaccine activists in April to protest the few remaining COVID-19 guidelines, such as mask mandates on mass transit and vaccination requirements for health care workers.

Similar scenes have played out across the country during the pandemic. Armed with the language of the abortion rights movement, anti-vaccine forces have converged with right-leaning causes to protest COVID precautions.
KHN logo

This story was produced in partnership with Kaiser Health News.

And they're succeeding. Vaccine opponents have appropriated "My Body, My Choice," a slogan that has been inextricably linked to reproductive rights for nearly half a century, to fight mask and vaccine mandates across the country — including in California, where lawmakers had vowed to adopt the toughest vaccine requirements in the U.S.

As the anti-vaccine contingent has notched successes, the abortion rights movement has taken hit after hit, culminating in the June 24 Supreme Court decision that ended the federal constitutional right to abortion. The ruling leaves it up to states to decide, and up to 26 states are expected to ban or severely limit abortion in the coming months.

Now that anti-vaccination groups have laid claim to "My Body, My Choice," abortion rights groups are distancing themselves from it — marking a stunning annexation of political messaging.

snytiger6 9 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let the anti vaxxers die off. It will help with over population of this planet.

Checkmate, I presume? It seems cute slogans can often be twisted into use by the opponents of the slogan's birth. They love taking away Dem talking points, especially the popular ones, and making it their own. It's a good strategy and a poke in our eyes. Since almost any sound bite can be so twisted I think it's best to simply beat the shit out of them when they use it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:675103
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.