Agnostic.com

2 4

LINK Kristi Noem defends South Dakota's abortion 'trigger' ban when asked if 10-year-old should be forced to give birth - CNNPolitics

(CNN)South Dakota Republican Gov. Kristi Noem on Sunday defended her state's abortion ban, which includes an exception when the pregnant person's life is at risk but not in cases involving incest or rape.

When asked by CNN's Dana Bash on "State of the Union" whether children similar to a 10-year-old child abuse victim who traveled from Ohio to Indiana to receive an abortion should be forced to give birth, Noem said, "This tragedy is horrific. I can't even imagine. I have never had anybody in my family or myself gone through anything like this. ... But, in South Dakota, the law today is that the abortions are illegal, except to save the life of the mother."

Noem told Bash she would not be in favor of amending the current law -- a so-called trigger law that took effect following the US Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade -- to add an exception for similar situations, saying, "I don't believe a tragic situation should be perpetuated by another tragedy."

But Noem did signal that a 10-year-old in the described situation may qualify for the state exception for life-threatening medical emergencies.

snytiger6 9 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sick POS. Really, not even shit.

Can Repubs be more cruel than this?

Heartlessness personified in this excuse for a woman. Absolutely devoid of empathy or compassion for a ten year old girl who should not under any circumstances be forced to be a mother when still a child herself. This is a horrific stance for anyone to take, worse because it’s a woman, but even more so because she is the Governor and in a position to amend the law if she so wished.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:675104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.