Agnostic.com

6 6

33 years ago I gave up alcohol and drugs. I had stopped smoking at the same time. About 18 years ago I tried cigars. However, since I grew up inhaling cigarettes, when I paid $17 for a cigar I wasn't going to just puff the smoke out. I inhaled the cigars. After doing that for a while I became addicted. Now I'm trying to quit nicotine. People think since I gave up drugs and alcohol, stopping smoking should be easy. But, I went to a 10 day detox for drugs and booze. I said all that to say; I have 78 days off smoking and it would be nice if there was a group in here for people who want to stop smoking and stay stopped.

newt125th 4 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I quit smoking in 1993. One year after I quit alcohol. And all my sex appeal disappeared.

It's hard. I gave up 01.01.2000. At the time I was smoking 60 a day. Been smoking for 36 years.
I reckon having a buddy & nicotine patches really helped.

My mother was an alcoholic and a smoker for 30 years. She said giving up cigarettes was much harder. I gave up cigarettes 21 years ago, and it was the hardest thing I ever did. It can be done, though, and feel free to use Nicorette gum, or whatever works for you.

Keith Richard said quitting nicotine was more difficult than quitting heroin. And it is legal. All I can say is those who have addictive personality disorder, need extra caution in seeking pleasure. You can do this because you know how. Some groups have come & gone. Avoid your triggers and folks who do not support your efforts. Stay hydrated. Occupy your mind with distractions that do not cause tension, stress or anxiety. Avoid tobacco friendly environs. It can be done. Any relapse is not starting over or a failure. One has to build on the small steps. Fall? Get back up and keep your eyes on the prize. Tobacco free life.

Some very good ideas here. Just wanted to clarify that there is no medical or scientific basis for "addictive personality", although there can be a genetic component to addiction.

[webmd.com]

@LovinLarge So what shall we call it? Addictive personality disorder? The disorder part makes it medically acceptable. It is a disorder whereby folks cannot control their negative behavior that impacts their life in a disastrous manner. Thanx.

You have the inner strength to do it. Your history shows it. Congrats on what you’ve already overpowered. If there’s some way to tap into that same mindset you had back then, that could possibly help.

I’m not sure what else would help. Maybe when you get the urge for nicotine, you treat yourself doing a few minutes of something (else) you enjoy? Or you do something physical for a couple of minutes to release endorphins …?

Congratulations! Stopping smoking is never easy. We know it can be done, though. I quit booze and drugs 35 years ago and smoking when 1999 became 2000.

Maybe you could start such a group here and see if any other members could use this type of support. Best wishes on both fronts!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:675296
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.