Agnostic.com

13 25

Ouch! It's my dominant hand.

Yesterday I had an annual apartment inspection by the Housing Authority who subsidy my rent. To justify a 2nd bedroom, it needs to store medical equipment. I wrote a letter that my doctor signed saying athletic equipment is necessary medical equipment to treat my anxiety and depression. I can't take anti-depressants (bad side effects). The letter worked.

I'm not depressed anymore since my rent is only $374/month.

Earlier I carried up sports equipment from the storage area: heavy skis (cross-country and downhill skis), ski boots, three backpacks, tents, camping gear, ski and bicycle helmets, ski poles, snowshoes, microspikes, etc. Created a mini-REI in the 2nd bedroom.

"This is the nicest apartment I have seen because you have views of the mountains," she said. "I love your art." We had fun talking and laughing.

After lunch, I swept out the storage area and carried everything back downstairs to storage. Once it was all hung back up, I looked at the ceiling. Spiderwebs and a big spider!

Tired, I walked back upstairs to grab the broom again. The front door automatically closes quickly and is heavy. Left hand holding the broom was the last thing to exit. Slam!

Blood exploded everywhere on both sides of the door. The edge of the door split my skin over a blood vessel. Looked like a massacre. Wrapped paper towels on my hand.

To not alarm neighbors, I scrubbed blood off both sides of the door, doormat and steps. Floors, rugs, kitchen and bathroom. Held my hand overhead for 20-minutes. The area was hugely swollen.

Off to Urgent Care. Put a bandaid on it first. Drove with left hand over my head. Got x-rays to rule out broken bones. By then, I had elevated my hand for 90-minutes. The bleeding had stopped.

Cut was cleaned and glued shut. "The blood (Hematoma) will drain into your fingers, turning your hand purple over the next week," the doctor said. "It will take three weeks to heal."

That automatic-shutting, heavy metal door has always been a problem, especially when carrying luggage. It shuts quickly, pinning me. That's why I keep hiking poles in the car truck and put on hiking boots before leaving.

LiterateHiker 9 July 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow, I bet it hurt.

@Robert_2001

Day 3. It hurts like the dickens. I have been icing it.

The blood has been spreading up my wrist, hand and thumb.

Soon my hand will be black and purple.

Glad it wasn't worse

bobwjr Level 10 July 9, 2022

Holy moly that looks and sounded painful as hell! I hope you won’t have any lasting damage to your hand. 😘

@Redheadedgammy

Thank you.

It hurts like hell. I've been icing it and taking ibuprofen twice a dsy.

It should feel better in a week or so.

@LiterateHiker I hope it feels better in just a few days! That would be total agony for it to keep hurting for a week or two! 😘

You need someone to kiss it better. I hope you do have such a person.

@Jolanta

Very funny! I have been icing it to reduce swelling and pain.

That hurts all the way here in Astoria, sorry for your pain and having this happen. Perhaps a wedge for the door to floor to hold the door open, or at least slow it down.

Bummer! sorry to hear that. It's rough dealing with those pesky heavy doors. I believe you heal well though. You have a good constitution.

It's annoying but happens. Hope you recover well.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Ouch! That looks painful.

The mechanism that pull the door shut should have an adjustment on it. If you can't find it, ask the super or call the office and find out.

I hope the pain doesn't last too long. Take care. 🙂

Betty Level 8 July 9, 2022

@Betty

I was thinking the same thing this morning. I will call him.

@LiterateHiker If they give you a hard time about it, send them a picture of your hand with a description of what happened. The mechanisms I have seen usually have a screw you can turn to adjust with a flat screwdriver. Hope this is helpful. 🙂

Don't forget to let us know if/when your door gets fixed. 🙂

Christ I hate it when that happens! But my favorite color is purple.😁😏😁 OUCH! Sorry it was your left hand, I'm a lefty myself but my big issue is knives. Index finger to just below the thumb knuckle, major target for me cutting myself-so far no stitches but plenty of butterfly bandaids.
Good news on your inspection🤩🥰👍 and spring cleaning is out of the way😈😏😂!
Try putting some arnica montana on the bruises.

@silverotter

Same here. My right index finger is a major knife target when slicing and chopping food. I curl the tips of my fingers under.

Good idea about using arnica ointment. Thank you.

@LiterateHiker I have friends who joke about my holding a knife - it just does not look safe to them, well the scars on my right index finger and thumb knuckle do speak for themselves. hahaha
Yeah, arnica is stuff great!!

Ouch! Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Sorry this happened to you and hope your pain and suffering are short lived.

So you're left handed, ouch!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:675858
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.