Agnostic.com

10 15

LINK Churches closing their doors in record numbers

In recent years, more churches are closing than opening. Fewer than 50% of Americans claim to be church members. Within this decline are fascinating numbers about how faith and communities have evolved, particularly in tiny towns where tiny churches once formed as community centers. ...

snytiger6 9 July 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tend to agree with @TomMcGiverin regarding consolidation. It's the Walmart effect, when it comes to American Protestantism. A 'big box' mega church rolls into town, and the 'mom & pop' little churches tend to go out of business. Pretty soon, the 'big box' is just about the only place to shop (or, in this case, praise Jesus!). And until I see a significant decline in mega church attendance and Joel Osteen and his wannabe's bottom line, I'm just enough of a skeptic to withhold any victory dancing at this point.

Hallelujah!!!! Praise the lord!!!! 😀

As the moderates leave religion, the crazy ones get louder.

Amen 👀

Yes, as the moderate leave, most of the ones left are the fanatics.

Less churches but believers are still around. They want it their way. and i don't mean Burger King. The twisted and misused godspel is becoming anything they want it to be or say.

A part of me wonders if the people leaving are the moderates, leaving only the fanatics.

In the words of a song from way back, " It's Good News Week."

Most likely the closings of most churches, the small ones, is due to the strains of the Covid pandemic and the economic effects on their members, who can no longer donate like they used to, with losing jobs and not being able to keep up with inflation. The smaller churches tend to be mainline denominations and also tend to be mostly older people, who are dying off and not being replaced with younger members, who do tend to choose mega churches over smaller ones.

Seems there are a lot of them joining the “mega” churches when their small churches close down. Talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire!!!

@Redheadedgammy That trend is happening too, but I think it is both of them.

Agree

Best thing about the churches was their social gathering. The anti social covid world has cause more relationships problems than we have ever experienced in this lifetime. Plus economy crises and it's been the most horrible thing ever. We the people, not we the Government, must push back or loose everything. Regardless of non Religious indifference.

Time for Molotov to do his thing.

I wish this news was as good as it sounds on the surface. Unfortunately, the closure of many small churches is mirrored by the expansion of attendance at mega churches. I'll be happy when they're all closed down.

I think it is more loike the moderates are the ones leaving, which means the fanatics are the only ones left. So, the fanatics no longer have members in their churches to reason them out of radical actions.

@snytiger6 Interesting hypothesis. Sounds a lot like what we see in the Republican Party as a result of gerrymandering. Moderates cannot win a primary.

Meant to include you in my comment above--my observations regarding megachurches parallel yours. Peace.

@pnullifidian 🙂✌️

Churches aren't closing fast enough, sad it is mostly tiny churches closing. Like to see some mega churches closing too.

Now IF that were to happen it WOULD really be PARTYTIME would it not?

The way things are going, the USA will become one large church.

Perish the thought!

The church of Government and super powerful rich as the God.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:675931
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.