Agnostic.com

5 5

LINK Forbidden

Now, next, this word aware. A W A R E. is very much connected with the Buddhist feeling for the transience of life. That everything is change, and nothing at all can be held onto or possessed. This feeling of transience, is at the root of the philosophy of poverty that exists in Buddhism and it has a curious difference in it from the Christian philosophy of poverty as say explained by Sir Francis of Assisi. It’s cognate, it it’s like it but a little subtle difference. Somehow one feels in the Christian emphasis on poverty that poverty contrasts with the richness as good to evil. In other words, poverty is unpleasant, but it’s something you ought to share with the poor who live unpleasant lives. So if you are to expiate your sins, well you ought to be poor. And to, live roughly. And so, for this reason, in Buddhism, one would not say so much poverty, as one would say simplicity. Not going without, not clinging to things because it’s good for you. But because it is actually the happiest way to live. Because nothing is more terrifying than the state the chronic anxiety, which one has if you are subject to the illusion that something or other in life could be held onto and safeguarded. And nothing can.

rainmanjr 8 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Taoism is easy to understand for me, because it is based on nature. Mainstream religions have far too many loop holes, to begin to understand.

Buddhist philosophy is right to pick on anxiety and to pick on a calm attitude to fight it. Meditation or Mindfulness can help. However the main source of anxiety is uncertainty. Once you accept that science approaches the truth [but never reaches it] then cycles processes to improve the solutions, you get the right perception for science which will get to the closest truth available currently. Science methodology gives you a backbone for thinking which together with all forms of relaxation will rid you of anxiety. Funny thing is one actually has to TRY it to prove it to yourself. Will anyone be trying Buddhism as a result of reading this quotation?

Buddhism and Taoism are fairly closely linked concerning meditation and mindfulness but science is left at the door. Learning detachment, and letting go, is more about taming ego and time traveling than understanding theory. When you can rid yourself of both problems the anxiety simply ceases. It has nothing more to feed on.

@rainmanjr We are not in competition. Only you can verify theories about yourself . Only when you are mentally ill do need outside help

"Funny thing is one actually has to TRY it to prove it to yourself".

This is a nice quote. In my own life i live simply without hate or too much strife. It is as if I am rich but I live below the poverty line.

What a profound and beautiful quote. Thank you for posting it.

Can also be said that we are all poor, and the rich are the poorest of all, because they prize something that can not make them wiser.

Can you transfer your posting to the Quotations Group? under your name obviously.

@Mcflewster Ok by special request.

@Fernapple Don't do yourself down

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:676190
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.