Agnostic.com

4 6

My sister's memorial service was yesterday and it was about the second time I have been in a church for over 25 years. My niece's eulogy was great, but I wish that I had taken earplugs to shut out the sermon about "if you want to see Kitty again and live with her forever, you better make sure that you are one of god's sheep so he can call you out." He was preaching to the crowd as I am sure that my son and I were only the atheists.

Blah, blah, blah , yadda, yadda, yadda . . . nothing new in that exhortation. He would also have been surprised that my sister did not believe that she would live forever nor did she want to.

At one point, he said that he "could strongly feel her presence" in the church. Then, he said that she was living it up with Jesus (my paraphrase) and wasn't concerned with us at all. So, which was it?

Gwendolyn2018 9 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When my father died in 2015 he had left his wishes known. He wanted three memorial services. One in Florida where they had lived for the past 25 years or so. We had that service in mom’s church, she is a true believer. If I recall, in my eulogy I believe I mentioned that I believe, at best, dad was an agnostic. He seldom went to church with mom. His last few years I think his upbringing kicked in and I think he was covering his bases by embracing her pastor praying for him.
The second was here in Lancaster for friends and family in the area. That was fairly secular, since I was in charge, just a brief prayer for mom’s sake.
The third was up in his family home area, planned by my cousins. It was a military style funeral, with a gun salute, folding flag ceremony and a lot of religion. We all grieve in our own way and deal with death as we believe. I don’t expect them to follow my lead, but I don’t try to alter theirs.

How horrible to have a solemn event turned into a liar's club.

I had a neighborhood friend who was brought up Jewish. He met a girl and they arranged to get married, but she was Catholic. They set up two ceremonies for each religion. However, the sight of him on his knees in front of the priest, reciting Catholic commitments to God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost made me nauseous. Fortunately, his parents had passed away so that they didn't have to witness his degradation. Truly sickening. Shame on his wife for forcing him to betray his heritage and integrity. He became a lawyer and, at one point, I told him he was well qualified.

My housekeeper passed away last year and I attended her service. It was thick with Christian horseshit. Arlene wasn't very religious, but her mother was a certifiably wacko. It's a terrible thing to see people who are so completely devoted to this nonsense. Maybe their brains can't handle anything more, but I don't like having to rationalize how people have fucked themselves over. One can only move on with a recommitment to truth, honor and ennobling.

My wife and children know that I demand that there be no funeral service for me. I simply want them to scatter my ashes on he bluff of a lake on which I used to fish, while playing the "Ashoken Farewell" on a cell phone

@Gwendolyn2018 just lay you out there for buzzard food! 😂 Glad you got it explained, could give the kid nightmares! 😁

One of my dearest friends got cancer and died in a few weeks. Her brother's entire eulogy was about his attempts to get her to "accept Jesus" before she died. It was grotesque.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:676855
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.