Agnostic.com

1 5

LINK Republicans block taking up Senate bill to guarantee freedom to travel across states for abortions - CNNPolitics

The Democratic bill, called the Freedom to Travel for Health Care Act of 2022 was introduced earlier this week by Sens. Patty Murray of Washington, Catherine Cortez Masto of Nevada, Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York. The bill would additionally protect providers in states that support abortion rights from lawsuits for helping women from other states.

Murray, who chairs the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, said GOP lawmakers across the nation “have already set their sights on ripping away the right to travel.” ...

snytiger6 9 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know when they became able to evade voting on bills, but that should not be possible.

I think it goes backs to the talking filibuster. They got rid of that because it was time wasting and tiem consuming and replaced it with cloture, which require 60 votes to end debate and bring a bill up for a vote in the Senate. If they don't get 60 votes, the bill isn't voted on.

I think they shoudl go back to the talking filibuster, which requires a person keep talking in order to delay or prevent a senate vote on a bill. The problem is as long as a senator holds the floor, he can require that enoug senator remain in the room to meet quorum, thus holding two thirds of the senate hostage while they are speaking. If you want to see how the old rules worked in action, watch the Frank Capra movie "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" starring Jimmy Stewart.

Eliminating the Filibuster, in today's terms means getting rid of the cloture rules. The cloture rules tend to favor republicans, as democrats are usually willing to compromise, while republicans usually are not.

Thanks for that. I agree with you. As Republicans have become so obstructive, 60 votes is absurd.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:677011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.