Agnostic.com

12 17

LINK In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace | Pew Research Center

The religious landscape of the United States continues to change at a rapid clip. In Pew Research Center telephone surveys conducted in 2018 and 2019, 65% of American adults describe themselves as Christians when asked about their religion, down 12 percentage points over the past decade. Meanwhile, the religiously unaffiliated share of the population, consisting of people who describe their religious identity as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular,” now stands at 26%, up from 17% in 2009. ...

snytiger6 9 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not for any Centroism, like religion, nationalism, banks, Government, world order and so on. Absolute power always corrupts,. They label then divide and conquer, like the US military, Walmart, US Corp which has a president of a corporation, not of a country.

When the harsh treatment of women is pushed it shows just how much religions are nothing but a male created institution to suppress women, the poor, and the minorities these religions are scamming wholesale!!!

Religion is nothing but a Tax evaders paradise for those males who preach it so called values by mystic imaginary control!!!

Especially now with the Christians dogma actions taking on the same form as Islamic Sharia laws!!!

I think the decline is directly related to the crazy Taliban brand of American which seems ti be at the forefront in the public eye. There may be others and they may actually be tha majority (I'm willing to think this is likely the case) but the rabid hysterical preacher are getting the attention and it turns off those who might otherwise be "casual" Christians. They have no interest in being associated with the nut jobs in the public view monopolizing all the attention and being caught in sex scandels and practicing mega greed on their fellow Christians.

I help with the Gallop Poll and it shows Christianity on a decline. Many do not know it but these polls are used by industry and government to get ideas on what "we the people" might be interested in so they know what to sell us. Anything from voting trends to a new toothbrush and other items in the "must have" area.

This may be why the religious right is pushing so hard to change our secular Government to a theocracy.

@MaryChristmas You are 100% spot on! 😉

They will most likely find something else to believe in or hold onto. Hopefully, not white nationalism.

Eric Hoffer explains:

"The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto." - Eric Hoffer

"Religion is not a matter of God, church, holy cause, etc. These are but accessories. The source of religious preoccupation is in the self, or rather the rejection of the self. Dedication is the obverse side of self-rejection. Man alone is a religious animal because, as Montaigne points out, "it is a malady confined to man, and not seen in any other creature, to hate and despise ourselves.." - Eric Hoffer

And the christians are running scared and doubling down on their attempts to regain power. Somehow if the saner among us could sow some seeds of inter-religious sects conflicts maybe they'll be brought down by infighting.

Yeah. Conservatives do that to liberals all of the time.

It's not happening fast enough.

White christian nationalism is a clear and present danger to our nation.
It must be stopped in the most definitive and permanent manner possible.

KKGator Level 9 July 18, 2022

In my opinion, while this may be true, the Christian Nationalists in the Conservative, Evangelical GOP is working much faster to make this country a Christian Theocracy.
I'm glad I'm old.

You're so right, and what happens with the Christian Nationalists matters way more than how religion goes or doesn't, with the rest of the public. If they get a theocracy, it won't matter if most Americans don't share their beliefs, they will have all the power, there won't be any elections, and they will rule over everyone else, believers or non-believers....

And if, like the Nazis, they come to power, we will have no choice but to fight them in the streets, for our own survival, instead of being like the Jews in Nazi Germany, of just waiting to be slaughtered or imprisoned. The US is looking more and more like the Purge movies every day, where the rich and the racist thugs grow more brutal and emboldened every day to just treat us like animals or worse, like garbage...

I agree, and how many of the don't go to church crowd essentially practice white nationalism christianity? Spend some time in dive bars and you can see a lot

@Beowulfsfriend I know, I've seen them in redneck bars, or at least bars that are low class enough to get rednecks in there from time to time. The last two guys that bullied me at karaoke shows were that type, the kind that are into redneck culture and country music, as well as right wing politics, but probably never inside a church for services in recent years. They don't like sissy lib types like me, and I'm sure they also don't like, and would bully, colored or queer people as well, esp. if they were there alone.

@TomMcGiverin The Purge movies? Sounds like something I may not want to watch if it's gross.

@wildgarden There is a lot of violence, natural for the subject matter, but I would say it is actually less gross than the violence in most action movies.

This country might be an Atheist country in my life time after all.

Let's pray it does 😉 lol

Good news!

Not fast enough, unfortunately.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:677272
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.