Agnostic.com

4 15

GOP activists planted signs near ballot boxes warning voters they were "under survelliance" in King County, WA.

By Jim Brunner
Seattle Times, July 19, 2022

Calling it an attempt at voter intimidation, King County Elections Director Julie Wise requested the sheriff’s office investigate people who planted signs near ballot boxes warning voters they were “under surveillance.”

In a statement Tuesday evening, Wise blasted what she called an effort to scare voters.

“I believe this is a targeted, intentional strategy to intimidate and dissuade voters from using secure ballot drop boxes. My team is not going to stand by and allow any group to seed fear and doubt amongst our residents and voters, especially not when they are simply trying to make their voices heard,” Wise said.

The signs in question were posted near ballot boxes in several Seattle and Eastside locations, with red letters warning the boxes were “under surveillance” and implying criminal consequences “for harvesting or depositing ballots” for pay.

The signs included a scannable QR code that linked to a King County Republican Party website and form encouraging people to submit “incident reports” documenting allegedly suspicious activity.

Wise noted voter intimidation is outlawed by both state and federal law.

[seattletimes.com]

LiterateHiker 9 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe now that the word is out many concerned citizens will patrol those areas and remove the signs. It's a sure sigh an entity has nothing to offer when it resorts to intimidation and corruption.

Living over in the county east of King - a very republican dominated one - this really is disturbing. I got my voter pamphlet and ballot. We have that system where the top 2 winners in the primary move on to the general election in Nov. so the gop has 15 people running for the Congressional seat, in the last election that seat went to the Democrats for the first time EVER and boy were the rethugs around here pissed.
The thing about the the rethugs running for the seat is in their statements in the voter pamphlet many of the ones who made a statement said one of the first things they would do is make sure people who are not suppose to vote don't, ie that elections are secure. Red Flag warning!! Not that all legal citizens CAN vote. I know it's also happening on the local and state level with who gets to run WA State elections.
Every damn study has shown Wa State's all mail in ballot voting is secure but still the rethugs I know think there is a problem.
I have asked them would they be happy and feel safer if we all had to go to one place - like say the state capitol, a hundred miles from us - to vote in person? Lose time from work as it might be a 2 day deal given how long the lines would be. They look at me with deer in the headlights and I tell 'em that's the sort of thing they do in Georgia, Texass, etc.
Sorry about the rant but these people are scary.

I would be very surprised if cops were to do anything to investigate that. It might have been the cops themselves.

No, it's just one of the numerous voter suppression tactics the R leaders in Congress worked out along with everything else they're trying to do to cheat to win in '22 and '24. They know they can't win on a level playing field so they have to cheat as much as they can.

@BitFlipper

Read the article.

"The signs included a scannable QR code that linked to a King County Republican Party website and form encouraging people to submit “incident reports” documenting allegedly suspicious activity.

"Wise noted voter intimidation is outlawed by both state and federal law."

@LiterateHiker I don't scan QR codes blindly, and I expect that most people don't. You never know where that code is going to take you and what kind of crap is going to be loaded onto your phone.

This is a bullshit voter suppression tactic by the cheating Right. Despite what those signs would have you believe, they have NO authority at all but will try and intimidate people to leave the line to vote. Ignore them, don't talk to them, don't answer their questions and most of all, don't leave without voting Dem.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:677506
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.