Agnostic.com

4 0

Which of these phrases annoy or bother you the most?
Praise the lord
Thank god
God only knows.
God has a divine plan
It was god's will.
Trust in the lord
Feel free to add your own to the list.

Specman 6 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

god is good all the time

Need to add one more to the list:
Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. How many times have we heard that one recently?

"Praise the lord" (Which one?) Lords and Ladies were a part of the titles of the aristocratic system of Britan.
Every one of these others:
"God only knows.
God has a divine plan
It was god's will.
Trust in the lord"
Praise the Lord doesn't bother me AS bad. I sometimes find myself at a loss for words when it comes to expressing my relief or joy, and struggle to find words to express, so I'm more understanding when it comes to that one.

Donna Level 6 Dec 6, 2017

I don't mind the idiomatic use, e.g., "Thank God!" That's automatic, much the same as I might say, "Goddamnit!" The ones that are a little less automatic, that express real meaning, like, "God has a divine plan," are the ones I find more distasteful. But, still, if that's the worst I hear or experience, then I figure I'm doing pretty well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6782
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.