Agnostic.com

3 7

LINK After Roe, Pregnant Women With Cancer Diagnoses May Face Wrenching Choices

(I happen to be a cancer survivor myself, and knowing how the toxic drugs affected me, I can only imagine what they would do to a woman who was pregnant or the fetus she carries.)

In April of last year, Rachel Brown’s oncologist called with bad news — at age 36, she had an aggressive form of breast cancer. The very next day, she found out she was pregnant after nearly a year of trying with her fiancé to have a baby.

She had always said she would never have an abortion. But the choices she faced were wrenching. If she had the chemotherapy that she needed to prevent the spread of her cancer, she could harm her baby. If she didn’t have it, the cancer could spread and kill her. She had two children, ages 2 and 11, who could lose their mother.

For Ms. Brown and others in the unlucky sorority of women who receive a cancer diagnosis when they are pregnant, the Supreme Court decision in June, ending the constitutional right to an abortion, can seem like a slap in the face. If the life of a fetus is paramount, a pregnancy can mean a woman cannot get effective treatment for her cancer. One in a thousand women who gets pregnant each year is diagnosed with cancer, meaning thousands of women are facing a serious and possibly fatal disease while they are expecting a baby.

Before the Supreme Court decision, a pregnant woman with cancer was already “entering a world with tremendous unknowns,” said Dr. Clifford Hudis, the chief executive officer at the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Now, patients as well as the doctors and hospitals that treat them, are caught up in the added complications of abortion bans. ...

snytiger6 9 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

These idiots have no real idea of the costs of their actions, since one cannot go bankrupt on medical bills, there will be more homeless, less people working, less people making money for the man, and more rich people bitching about it. While all the time telling everyone they should be self sufficient and be able to pay their bills.

Those heartless SOB's would probably charge her with murder if she harmed her fetus with cancer drugs or insist that forego treatment to save the child. Women are expendable. Babies aren't.

Until they are born.

@dalefvictor Yes... then they're just a tax burden on the state in their view

My cousin’s daughter had to face that decision. She chose to sacrifice her life to have her daughter. Passed away days after her daughter was born. But at least it was her choice.

I'm so sorry.... How awful to have to make that choice.

@TheoryNumber3 how worse not being given a choice!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:678235
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.